Author Topic: Imploding Cities Will Drag All of Us Down — Even if You Don't Live Anywhere Near One  (Read 391 times)

Offline Kamaji

Imploding Cities Will Drag All of Us Down — Even if You Don't Live Anywhere Near One

BY ATHENA THORNE
JULY 16, 2023

There is so much wrong with America’s cities, it’s hard to see why any contributing member of society would live and/or work in one of them. Some of the issues arise from far-Left local governance while others are generated by more widespread Leftist policy. These are coupled with an organic workforce evolution, as the United States transitions from an industry-based to an information-based economy. The result is urban areas caught in a downward spiral — and, as with any sinking vessel, threatening to suck everyone nearby down with them.

First, a quick refresher on the compounding problems of urban areas. Chief among them is that big cities are dark blue, and thus they’ve become crucibles of Left-wing policy failure. Uncontrolled crime, roving drug and mental-illness zombies, and swarms of sanctuary-recipient asylum scammers are crowding out reasonable people and businesses. The normals who remain to take advantage of access to cultural events (such as they are) and restaurant variety are also subject to totalitarian social controls and two-tiered justice systems that punish them when they fight back against criminals. But no matter how desperate the situation becomes, city councils can be counted on to double down on woke policies, then double down again.

Businesses are fleeing. In the ones that remain, shopping for basic goods has become a frustrating exercise in waiting for an associate to unlock the case so you can grab a razor and some toothpaste. Add in today’s high interest rates, which make owning and running a business prohibitively expensive, and the writing is on the wall. PJ Media colleague Rick Moran reported last month that large San Francisco commercial businesses, like hotels and malls, are simply walking away from their obligations, handing the keys to the banks with which their real estate is financed. Concurrently, major retailers are declining to renew leases and are simply closing their doors, unable to break even in an atmosphere where retail theft is encouraged. This process is occurring to some degree in major cities across the country.

While we conservatives point and laugh at the plight of woke cities from the comfort and safety of our suburban and rural homes, we may want to take a moment to consider a sobering issue. The effects of the imminent collapse of the commercial urban real estate market will ripple out across the financial sector and affect just about everyone in one way or another.

Remember the mortgage-backed securities crisis in 2008? And how, even if you didn’t default on your mortgage or didn’t even own a house, the entire economy tipped into what the hyperbolic media tagged “The Great Recession” and we all suffered? So, this would be kind of like that, except the problem will start with a commercial real estate collapse.

An article in The Atlantic last month called “The Next Crisis Will Start With Empty Office Buildings” paints a grim picture of what’s going down. First, the demand for office space dries up:

Source:  https://pjmedia.com/news-and-politics/athena-thorne/2023/07/16/imploding-cities-will-drag-all-of-us-down-even-if-you-dont-live-anywhere-near-one-n1710865

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
Maybe maybe not. Our cities declined from the 1950's, then expanded once again in the 90's-2010's, and are now declining again. It's cyclical and it doesn't seem to track with economic progress. Mobility is a thing and we don't need central cities, so much, anymore.

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Us ruralies are preparing for exactly this. Stock up and/or make/grow it yourself.

Not much you can do when people exercise their freedom to continue to vote for people that are going to destroy their existence.

Townie think has become an odious millstone around this country's neck. Don't see them ever waking from their stupor.
The Republic is lost.

Online LMAO

Maybe maybe not. Our cities declined from the 1950's, then expanded once again in the 90's-2010's, and are now declining again. It's cyclical and it doesn't seem to track with economic progress. Mobility is a thing and we don't need central cities, so much, anymore.

There was a different New York City when Mayor Dinkins ran it versus Giuliani.

It’s gonna have to get much worse before there’s any hope for it getting better
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
City Liberaals find rural America and rural American's repugnant. You know places us  "Bitter Clingers" reside who will shoot you dead and then pray over their dead body ...and then call 811.   why 811? because we need to find out where to dig the hole.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2023, 02:56:58 pm by Wingnut »
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Kamaji

There was a different New York City when Mayor Dinkins ran it versus Giuliani.

It’s gonna have to get much worse before there’s any hope for it getting better

:thumbsup:

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
LMAO predicts:
"There was a different New York City when Mayor Dinkins ran it versus Giuliani.
It’s gonna have to get much worse before there’s any hope for it getting better"

No one like Giuliani will be elected again.

The electorate that voted for him has either died or moved out, and the replacement electorate is ever-more leftist.

I worked into/out of NYC from 1980 until 2012.
A good part in the heart of the South Bronx (Oak Point freight yard).
Saw it under Beame, Koch, Dinkins, Giuliani, etc.

The "Rudy Renaissance" was an amazing and remarkable transformation. I'm surprised it lasted as long as it did (at least Bloomberg had sense enough not to disturb Giuliani's policing policies to any degree).

But once Bloomberg was out, you could see it sliding downward again.

It's a renaissance that won't be repeated.
No second coming this time...