Author Topic: War, Covid and climate change push 122 million more people into hunger-UN  (Read 256 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
War, Covid and climate change push 122 million more people into hunger-UN
JULY 13, 2023
tags: farming, food
By Paul Homewood

Over 122 million more people are now facing hunger than in 2019, according to a United Nations report, which says the war in Ukraine and Covid-19 pandemic have had a devastating effect on food supplies.

In total, between 691 and 783 million people went hungry in 2022, the UN’s latest State of Food Security and Nutrition in the World report found.

It said that global food insecurity has worsened in recent years due to a “perfect storm” of Covid-19, extreme weather events and ongoing conflicts, with Russia’s invasion of Ukraine, and its blockade of the port of Odesa, exposing the world’s dependence on Black Sea grain and sunflower oil imports.

Nearly 2.4 billion people, equivalent to 29.6 per cent of the global population, did not have constant access to food in 2022, according to the report. One in five people faced hunger in Africa, more than twice the global average.

https://notalotofpeopleknowthat.wordpress.com/2023/07/13/war-covid-and-climate-change-push-122-million-more-people-into-hunger-un/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Kamaji

What "extreme weather events"?