Author Topic: Progressives press Chicago mayor over pledge to end controversial policing tool  (Read 351 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor

Progressives press Chicago mayor over pledge to end controversial policing tool
Story by Leigh Giangreco in Chicago • Yesterday 10:43 AM

Progressives have vowed to hold the new Chicago mayor, Brandon Johnson, to his campaign pledge that as part of crime-control efforts in the city he will break with the controversial gunshot detection contractor ShotSpotter.

Johnson gave the keynote speech this week at Netroots, the largest annual gathering of progressives in the country, taking place in Chicago, and amplified his campaign talk about a wider approach to safer streets.

“Many people will make you believe that the only way in which you can have safe communities is by simply engaging in politics of old, by believing that the only answer to public safety is policing. That’s a failed strategy,” he told the gathering.

However the progressive Democrat did not repeat his campaign trail commitments to pull the plug on ShotSpotter when the city’s current contract is up next year. For more than a decade, Chicago has used the company’s nearly 30-year-old gunshot detection system, deployed in high-crime areas and designed to direct police to shootings, but that in recent years has faced intense criticism for its methodology and the impact of its technology on communities of color.

“He’s a rising star in progressive politics and we’re going to hold him accountable,” Granate Kim, campaign director at MPower Change, a Chicago-based Muslim digital advocacy organization, told a panel held at Netroots.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/progressives-press-chicago-mayor-over-pledge-to-end-controversial-policing-tool/ar-AA1dW9bi?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=ed1940d6711e4bf5b9b86ba4946a7493&ei=42
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Aw heck.  Why not just let the citizens of Chicago mutilate, maim, and murder each other? :whistle:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Kamaji

“Many people will make you believe that the only way in which you can have safe communities is by simply engaging in politics of old, by believing that the only answer to public safety is policing. That’s a failed strategy,”

What a maroon.

To paraphrase Sir Winston Churchill:  "policing is the worst form of public safety, except for all those other forms that have been tried from time to time.…"

Online LMAO

From the article…

However the progressive Democrat did not repeat his campaign trail commitments to pull the plug on ShotSpotter when the city’s current contract is up next year. For more than a decade, Chicago has used the company’s nearly 30-year-old gunshot detection system, deployed in high-crime areas and designed to direct police to shootings, but that in recent years has faced intense criticism for its methodology and the impact of its technology on communities of color.

Well, then, maybe those “communities of color” should stop engaging in
disproportionally high gunshot homicides? Problem solved. It’s not the technology’s fault.
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline Kamaji

From the article…

Well, then, maybe those “communities of color” should stop engaging in
disproportionally high gunshot homicides? Problem solved. It’s not the technology’s fault.

:thumbsup:

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
Obviously, ShotSpotter is racist because it sees a disproportionate number of gunshots in minority neighborhoods.