Author Topic: CARTWRIGHT: Ideology Is Driving Science, And Our Children Will Pay For It  (Read 227 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
CARTWRIGHT: Ideology Is Driving Science, And Our Children Will Pay For It
OPINIONLBGTQ-US-POLITICS-TEENAGERS
STEPHEN MATUREN/AFP via Getty Images

JERALD ALLEN CARTWRIGHT
J. ALLEN CARTWRIGHT WRITES ABOUT THE INTERPLAY OF POLITICS WITH CULTURAL AND SCIENTIFIC INSTITUTIONS. HIS WORK HAS APPEARED IN HUMAN EVENTS, THE FEDERALIST, AREO MAGAZINE AND OTHERS. HE CAN BE FOLLOWED ON PARLER AT @JALLENCARTWRIGHT.
July 14, 2023
10:46 PM ET
FONT SIZE:

“Trust the science” is a seemingly innocuous, non-partisan slogan that, on the surface, simply argues that government policy should be based upon facts and hard data. In reality, of course, it has become a rallying cry for the radical left to use ‘science’ as a cudgel to cram down increasingly authoritarian policies under the guise of fighting COVID-19 and climate change. Increased politicization of science has, inevitably, produced the opposite result: public trust in science continues to decline, particularly among Republicans.

Rather than bridging this political divide and repairing their tarnished images, America’s scientific institutions are instead embracing naked partisanship. Any illusion of impartiality was, of course, shattered long ago, when leading publications such as Scientific American, The Lancet, and Nature broke precedent by all endorsing Joe Biden for president in 2020, after a history of avoiding endorsements. Now, Chemical & Engineering News (C&EN), a major weekly magazine published by the American Chemical Society (ACS), the world’s largest scientific society, is publishing articles opposing bans on gender transitions for children.

The article “Amid increasing anti-trans legislation, where should scientific societies hold their conferences?” appeared last month in C&EN. Author Krystal Vasquez ultimately advocates for the ACS and other science organizations to pull their conferences out of any states that pass “anti-trans legislation” including those directed specifically at minors because such policies go against their “values” – despite acknowledging that such actions would cost the ACS “millions of dollars in liabilities.” Indeed, the first paragraph specifically calls out S. 480, an Indiana state bill that, in the words of Vasquez, “would ban gender-affirming health care for transgender youth.” Concerns about other policies in Texas, Florida, and Indiana were specifically mentioned, and once again C&EN acknowledges that “[m]ost of the proposed legislation was aimed at minors.” The article ends with a call for “cis allies to speak out and to raise awareness” to prevent ‘anti-trans legislation’ from passing.

https://dailycaller.com/2023/07/14/cartwright-ideology-is-driving-science-and-our-children-will-pay-for-it/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson