Author Topic: Stricken sub Connecticut returns to maintenance after dry dock upgrade  (Read 261 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Stricken sub Connecticut returns to maintenance after dry dock upgrade
By Geoff Ziezulewicz
 Thursday, Jul 13

The fast-attack submarine Connecticut returns to the dry dock on July 12 following Puget Sound Naval Shipyard, Washington, upgrades that officials say will allow the facility to better withstand a catastrophic earthquake. Connecticut grounded in the West Pacific in October 2021 and requires a raft of repairs, with officials hoping to see the elite boat return to operations in early 2026. (Navy)
The stricken fast-attack submarine Connecticut has returned to its Puget Sound Naval Shipyard dry dock in Washington state following construction work the Navy says will ensure the dock can better withstand a potential catastrophic earthquake.

Connecticut grounded during a mission in the West Pacific in October 2021, prompting a raft of reforms in the submarine community.

The stealthy and pricey Seawolf-class sub, one of just three, returned to the yard’s Dry Dock 5 on July 12 to continue repairs, with the boat expected to return to service in early 2026, according to Navy officials.

The Navy suspended submarine maintenance work at the four dry docks of the Puget Sound yard in January over concerns about whether they would hold up against a big earthquake, which could happen at any time due to a massive tectonic fault line off the Pacific Northwest coast.

https://www.navytimes.com/news/your-navy/2023/07/13/stricken-sub-connecticut-returns-to-maintenance-after-dry-dock-upgrade/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
In need of serious repairs, just like about 40% of the rest of the submarine fleet. :im waiting:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
I don't like the use of the word "stricken" in the title. It seems to imply the sub was damaged by an enemy attack.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline PeteS in CA

Ummmm ... I'm pretty sure that fault line has been there longer than the naval repair facility. How many times have the drydocks been significantly - if at all - damaged by earthquakes? Work on one of them could not be delayed until after the Connecticut was repaired?
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.