Author Topic: Guardian: Climate Activists can Overcome Greed by Shouting Louder  (Read 190 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Guardian: Climate Activists can Overcome Greed by Shouting Louder
21 hours ago Eric Worrall 88 Comments
Essay by Eric Worrall

“… If the law and the facts are against you, pound the table and yell like hell”?

As heat records break, the climate movement has the right answers – but the words are all wrong

Jonathan Freedland
Sat 15 Jul 2023 05.36 AEST

The fossil fuel industry has spent billions on winning over the public. Green activists must learn from its tactics

It’s happening all over – biblical downpours in New York state, unquenchable fires in Canada – and yet humanity is not acting as if it is confronting a planetary emergency. Extreme weather is fast becoming the norm in the US, and yet Americans tell pollsters it is a low priority, ranking it 17th out of 21 national issues in a recent Pew survey. Even when the impact is personal, as it was for many Australians when bushfires raged through the country in 2019, opinions prove stubbornly hard to shift: one study found that among those “directly impacted” by the fires, around a third saw no connection to the climate. They were “unmoved.”

How can this be? How can we, like Nero, fiddle while the Earth burns? …

https://wattsupwiththat.com/2023/07/15/guardian-climate-activists-can-overcome-greed-by-shouting-louder/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson