Author Topic: Union Leaders Blame Biden-Era Inflation Among Reasons for Historic Hollywood Strike  (Read 385 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Union Leaders Blame Biden-Era Inflation Among Reasons for Historic Hollywood Strike

Paul Bois 14 Jul 2023

The Screen Actors Guild-American Federation of Television and Radio Artists (SAG-AFTRA) authorized a strike on Thursday, with some union leaders blaming the Biden-era inflation as one of their main issues.

The strike will be going into effect at midnight after the union’s 160,000 members voted overwhelmingly to authorize shutting down the industry and join the WGA in their ongoing strike against the AMPTP. During a press conference on Thursday, Duncan Crabtree-Ireland, national executive director of the union and the chief negotiator, said that crippling inflation has put actors in a difficult financial position that studios have not aided.

Crabtree-Ireland said the studio streaming model has “undercut performers’ residual income and high inflation has further reduced our members’ ability to make ends meet.”

“To complicate matters further, actors now face an existential threat to their livelihoods with the rise of generative AI (artificial intelligence) technology,” Crabtree-Ireland said. “We proposed contract changes that addressed these issues, but the AMPTP has been uninterested in our proposals.”

Fran Drescher, president of SAG-AFTRA, also said that the “eyes of the world and particularly the eyes of labor are upon us.”

“What happens here is important because what’s happening to us is what’s happening across all fields of labor by means of when employers make Wall Street and greed their priority and they forget about the essential contributors that make the machine run,” Drescher said.

more
https://www.breitbart.com/entertainment/2023/07/14/sag-aftra-leaders-blame-biden-era-inflation-for-hollywood-strike/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
May they be on strike for the next 5 to 10 years.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
What if they held a strike and nobody cared?    This would be the one.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Kamaji

:facepalm2:

Well, y'all did vote for Biden, so you have nobody to blame but yourselves.

Offline DefiantMassRINO

What if the producers and directors moved entertainment production to Mexico, where US Labor Laws are null and void?
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
What if the producers and directors moved entertainment production to Mexico, where US Labor Laws are null and void?

Then they would have to deal with the Cartels.  Which are almost as bad as a Union's an US labor laws..
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.