Author Topic: No permanent Arctic sea ice left anymore by now?  (Read 193 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
No permanent Arctic sea ice left anymore by now?
« on: July 14, 2023, 12:02:00 pm »
No permanent Arctic sea ice left anymore by now?

Let’s continue from where I left in previous post about a Newsweek fact check of the claim that “humanity would end by 2023”. This claim was made in 2018 and attributed to James Anderson in a gritpost article. The fact checker made the argument that the gritpost article didn’t correctly report on Anderson’s claim and that the claim was in fact about the polar ice caps, more specifically, that “unless the world stopped using fossil fuels by 2023, the effect on the polar ice caps would be irreversible“.

That seems rather vague, especially after having read the articles that were used by the fact checker. I think he pretty much understated the actual claim that was reported in those articles:

The chance that there will be any permanent ice left in the Arctic after 2022 is essentially zero.

It was also reported that Anderson believed that it would not be possible to recover just by reducing emissions. It would take a WW2-style transformation of industry, starting to remove carbon dioxide from the atmosphere and making an effort to reflect sunlight away from the earth’s poles. This all had to be done within five years, otherwise no permanent ice would be left after 2022. By the way, we didn’t do any of these in the last five years.

https://trustyetverify.wordpress.com/2023/04/14/no-permanent-arctic-sea-ice-left-anymore-by-now/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson