Author Topic: Limitless ‘white’ hydrogen under our feet may soon shatter all energy assumptions  (Read 415 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Limitless ‘white’ hydrogen under our feet may soon shatter all energy assumptions
Story by Ambrose Evans-Pritchard • Yesterday 1:59 PM

Every few years a disruptive technology comes out of left field and entirely changes the future of the global energy system, smashing into our consciousness like a thunderclap.

It happened with shale fracking around 2009-2011, confounding OPEC, Russia, and an opinion establishment still hooked on the great red herring of peak oil.

America went from an alarming energy deficit to become the top exporter of oil and gas within a decade. The dollar came roaring back. So did American power.

Today’s exuberant rush for “white” hydrogen has the same feel.

We are suddenly waking up to the very real possibility that vast reserves of natural hydrogen lie under our feet and can plausibly be extracted at costs that blow away the competition, ultimately undercutting methane on pure price.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/technology/limitless-white-hydrogen-under-our-feet-may-soon-shatter-all-energy-assumptions/ar-AA1dPluA?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=853d8fd58a2f451fb78dc8660b2c63e7&ei=37
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
At one point in history, the crossbow was known to be the weapon that would end all wars.
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Hydrogen found in Earth's crust is 'limitless fuel supply'

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/science/science-news/3293426/Hydrogen-found-in-Earths-crust-is-limitless-fuel-supply.html

According to Professor Friedemann Freund and colleagues at Nasa's Ames Research Centre, in California, the gas is produced when water molecules trapped inside molten rock break down to release hydrogen.

"In the top 20km of the Earth's crust, the conditions are right to produce a nearly inexhaustible supply of hydrogen," said Prof Freund.

Studies by the team of common rock types such as granite and olivine have revealed extraordinarily high levels of trapped hydrogen. Prof Freund told The Telegraph that his team had "tantalising evidence" that as much as 1,000 litres of hydrogen may be trapped in each cubic metre of rock.

Although formidable engineering problems remain to be overcome in abstracting the gas, the sheer volume of the Earth's crust means that such a high concentration would solve the world's energy problems.

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/science/science-news/3293426/Hydrogen-found-in-Earths-crust-is-limitless-fuel-supply.html

Like immigration, politicians will never let fuel supply problems be solved.  It gives them a bully pulpit to get their names in front of the voters. *look*
Thomas Jefferson

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
"In the top 20km of the Earth's crust, the conditions are right to produce a nearly inexhaustible supply of hydrogen," said Prof Freund.

@rangerrebew

EEK!

EEK!

He said "NEARLY"!

Weeza all agonna die a-freezin inda cold!

We nead eberbodie ta move into da cities n live in partmints in walkin range ta wurk ta save da wurld!

We iz da wurld.......

Sang hit,comrades!
« Last Edit: July 14, 2023, 12:00:17 pm by sneakypete »
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.

Well, there is a reason that that cubic meter of rock still has that hydrogen trapped in there: it IS trapped. Granite is not especially known for its permeability, and despite the fact that hydrogen is the escape artist of gases, even able to work its way out through the wall of steel cylinders used to store gases, it hasn't worked its way out through the granite.
It's one thing to frac shale or tight sandstone/silt/dolomite sequences, but granite?

When I was running mass spec on wells in Weld County Colorado (DJ Basin), the only time we got noteworthy Hydrogen returns was when there was a mechanical problem downhole, and metal-to-metal contact/friction generated heat sufficient to dissociate water downhole. It was a signal that something was very wrong with the tools downhole. Otherwise, we saw very little.

That isn't saying it isn't present elsewhere, just that it has not been common in areas where I have worked (ND, MT, SD, WY, UT, CO, NV, TX), with equipment that can detect it. Then, too, those areas were known for petroleum, and that would have absorbed most of any free hydrogen present.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online DB

There's lots of hydrogen on the planet... We have oceans of it...

That doesn't make it an energy source...

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
There's lots of hydrogen on the planet... We have oceans of it...

That doesn't make it an energy source...
I could be wrong, but my bet is the investors will be well drilled and 'produced' before any usable amount of hydrogen is.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis