Author Topic: Top Sweetener Officially Declared a Carcinogen  (Read 1001 times)

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Top Sweetener Officially Declared a Carcinogen
« on: July 14, 2023, 10:43:42 am »
Mercola 7/14/2023

Story at-a-glance

•   The World Health Organization has finally gotten around to declaring the popular artificial sweetener aspartame a potential carcinogen

•   The ruling comes from sources with WHO’s International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC), who said aspartame will be listed as “possibly carcinogenic to humans” in July 2023

•   I’ve been warning about aspartame’s cancer-causing potential since 2010, so you can see just how long this danger has been known

•   For over a decade, researchers have been warning of aspartame’s neurotoxicity and carcinogenicity, stating reevaluation of aspartame consumption is “urgent and cannot be delayed”

•   A 2022 large-scale cohort study found people who consumed higher levels of artificial sweeteners had higher risk of overall cancer compared to non-consumers

The World Health Organization has finally gotten around to declaring the popular artificial sweetener aspartame a potential carcinogen.1 I warned about aspartame’s cancer-causing potential on my site over 25 years ago, in my best-selling book, “Sweet Deception: Why Splenda, NutraSweet, and the FDA May Be Hazardous to Your Health,” in 2006, and in an article I wrote for The Huffington Post.2 It’s since been deleted — but you can see just how long this danger has been known.

The ruling comes from sources with WHO’s International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC), who said aspartame will be listed as “possibly carcinogenic to humans” in July 2023.3 Additional findings from the Joint WHO and Food and Agriculture Organization's Expert Committee on Food Additives (JECFA), which is in the process of updating its aspartame risk assessment, are also expected.4

Donald Rumsfeld’s Hand in Aspartame’s Approval

JECFA has vouched for aspartame’s safety for decades, stating since 1981 that it’s safe when consumed within accepted daily limits.5 It was 1981 when the U.S. Food and Drug Administration first approved aspartame.6 At the time, the late Donald Rumsfeld, former U.S. secretary of defense, was chairman of G.D. Searle, aspartame’s manufacturer, and he was reportedly instrumental in its approval.

At a 1980 FDA Board of Inquiry, the FDA had refused to approve aspartame due to concerns that it could induce brain tumors.7 The late John Olney, a renowned neuroscientist who tried to prevent aspartame’s approval, also wrote a letter to the Board of Inquiry in 1987, warning of aspartame’s neurotoxicity, including the potential for brain tumors and damage to children’s brains.8 As reported by Rense.com:9

“The FDA had actually banned aspartame based on this finding, only to have Searle Chairman Donald Rumsfeld … vow to ‘call in his markers,’10 to get it approved.

On January 21, 1981, the day after Ronald Reagan's inauguration, Searle re-applied to the FDA for approval to use aspartame in food sweetener, and Reagan's new FDA commissioner, Arthur Hayes Hull, Jr., appointed a 5-person Scientific Commission to review the board of inquiry's decision.

It soon became clear that the panel would uphold the ban by a 3-2 decision, but Hull then installed a sixth member on the commission, and the vote became deadlocked. He then personally broke the tie in aspartame's favor.

Hull later left the FDA under allegations of impropriety, served briefly as Provost at New York Medical College, and then took a position with Burston-Marsteller, the chief public relations firm for both Monsanto and GD Searle.”

Aspartame’s Cancer Link Known for Decades

Despite aspartame’s approval, by 1987 a series of investigative reports raised concerns that the chemical’s approval was mired by conflicts of interest, poor quality industry-funded research and revolving-door relationships between the FDA and the food industry.11

By 1996, a team with the department of psychiatry at Washington University Medical School questioned whether increasing brain tumor rates had an aspartame connection. “An exceedingly high incidence of brain tumors” has been identified in aspartame-fed rats compared to rats not fed aspartame, they explained, adding:12

“Compared to other environmental factors putatively linked to brain tumors, the artificial sweetener aspartame is a promising candidate to explain the recent increase in incidence and degree of malignancy of brain tumors.”

Then, in 2006, a study led by Dr. Morando Soffritti, a cancer researcher from Italy who’s the head of the European Ramazzini Foundation of Oncology and Environmental Sciences, found that, even in low doses, animals were developing several different forms of cancer when fed aspartame.13

That year, the team concluded aspartame was a “multipotential carcinogenic agent, even at a daily dose of 20 mg/kg body weight, much less than the current acceptable daily intake” and stated a reevaluation of aspartame consumption was “urgent and cannot be delayed.”14

More: https://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2023/07/14/aspartame-carcinogenic-effects.aspx

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Re: Top Sweetener Officially Declared a Carcinogen
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2023, 11:27:21 am »
I'm lucky I guess in that aspartame gives me brutal migraines, so I've had to avoid it like the plague.
The Republic is lost.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2023, 12:28:11 pm »
I have been using Splenda/Sweet and Low/whatever is on the table for decades.

Yeah,I do have lymphoma (in remission now for over a year),but I am also an Agent Orange veteran,and I suspect being sprayed with AO as well as filling my canteens with rain water while on patrols in the jungles where it was being sprayed MIGHT have something to do with getting cancer.

Then again,I am in my 70's,so it would only be surprising if I DIDN'T start coming down with health problems.

I have a news flash for some of you people,and it is going to come as a shock,so brace yourself.

Living causes dying. It is,IN FACT,the major cause of death!
« Last Edit: July 14, 2023, 12:29:25 pm by sneakypete »
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline PeteS in CA

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2023, 08:36:33 pm »
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2023, 08:49:57 pm »
... known to the State of California to cause cancer.

Question:  what is pretty much everything under the Sun?

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2023, 08:51:03 pm »

@Kamaji

INCLUDING the Sun.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline PeteS in CA

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2023, 08:53:11 pm »

If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2023, 10:10:25 pm »
I'm lucky I guess in that aspartame gives me brutal migraines, so I've had to avoid it like the plague.
Yep. Never liked the stuff. Stevia is better, but usually, I just avoid no-calorie sweeteners.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2023, 10:14:14 pm »
Mercola is a known crank, yes, but anyway aspartame sucks. Also everything causes cancer.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2023, 10:31:19 pm »
... "The average 150 lb. person would need to consume about 14 12-oz cans of diet beverages or about 74 packets of aspartame-containing tabletop sweetener every day over the course of their life to raise any safety concern," Rankin said in his statement. "Obviously, that level of consumption is not realistic, recommended, nor is it ‎aligned with the intended use of these ingredients." 

For the general public, there's "no immediate need" to worry about WHO's findings or classifications, Dr. Ernest Hawk, vice president and head of the division of cancer prevention and population sciences at The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, told CBS News.  ...
CBS News
I don't think any of us has anything to fear from aspertame.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2023, 10:37:26 pm »
CBS News

I grew up in America before the Lawyers took over.  Jungle Gyms on asphalt. Lawn mowers you could pick up and use as a hedge clipper and lose your fingers. 

Now you maybe entitled to significant compensation if you are stupid.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2023, 10:37:28 pm »
CBS News

:thumbsup:

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2023, 12:47:23 am »
Yep. Never liked the stuff. Stevia is better, but usually, I just avoid no-calorie sweeteners.

Yep... Always been sugar, cane sugar, and honey around here - Heavy on the honey... Just recently adopted stevia too, myself.... Crazy stupid tiny spoon.  :laugh:

Offline libertybele

« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2023, 12:52:58 am »
Yep... Always been sugar, cane sugar, and honey around here - Heavy on the honey... Just recently adopted stevia too, myself.... Crazy stupid tiny spoon.  :laugh:

The only time I add sugar is when I bake.  A dab of honey to hot tea and that's about it.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2023, 12:59:06 am »
The only time I add sugar is when I bake.  A dab of honey to hot tea and that's about it.

Or maple or birch syrup... molasses... all great in tea. Molasses adds wonderful and necessary dark tones to dandelion coffee or chaga tea... :beer:

Forgot those. Hear tell you can do similar with sorghum too, though that don't grow up in here.

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2023, 02:40:38 am »
Honey on cereal in lieu of sugar. Or in tea. Molasses on toast...or pancakes.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2023, 07:27:28 am »
People lying on the street dying of drugs and they are worried about artificial sweeteners that require a truck load to be dangerous?

I use it daily, to cut my sugar consumption... don't mess w/ my fake sugars.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2023, 07:28:28 am by Sighlass »
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Offline PeteS in CA

« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2023, 05:04:41 pm »
CBS News

Ditto saccharine, ditto cyclamates, for which the same research fraud was committed, though only cyclamates got taken off the market.

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2023, 04:48:50 pm »
People lying on the street dying of drugs and they are worried about artificial sweeteners that require a truck load to be dangerous?

I use it daily, to cut my sugar consumption... don't mess w/ my fake sugars.

:thumbsup: