Author Topic: Russia threatening to use cluster weapons. Here are 12 times they already have  (Read 190 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Russia threatening to use cluster weapons. Here are 12 times they already have
By
Logan Nye
Updated on
Jul 11, 2023

SUMMARY
Russia is protesting the American gift of cluster munitions to Ukraine despite the fact that Russia stands accused of using them itself.

Russia is big mad over the West supplying cluster munitions to Ukraine. It threatened to use its own cluster munitions if Ukraine deploys them in the war. Russia has a large stockpile of terrible cluster munitions, so Ukraine has to tread carefully. Otherwise, Russia might... Hold on. Let me check my notes, actually.

Oh, Russia first fired cluster munitions into Ukraine in 2014? And it has been doing so with much greater frequency since February 2022, the start of its wider invasion of Ukraine?

Look: Cluster munitions are, in general, terrible. They cause widespread devastation. Russian-made ones have high failure rates that turn them into indiscriminate landmines. When stolen or sold illegally, they are broken down into grenades for criminal use. There is actually a good argument for banning them from war.

https://www.wearethemighty.com/tactical/russia-protest-cluster-munitions-it-uses/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
True...and Russia's cluster weapons are an order of magnitude worse in creating dangerous dudes.