Author Topic: Tax prep sites gave millions of taxpayers’ info to Facebook and Google  (Read 426 times)

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...

The Washington Post
Story by Julie Weil
9h ago

About 10 million people type their personal financial information into H&R Block, TaxSlayer and TaxAct websites every year to prepare their taxes, trusting the companies to keep their information safe. Instead, the companies shared that personal information with Google and Facebook, some going as far back as 2011, members of Congress wrote in a new report.

The congressional investigation, led by Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.), follows a report last year about such data-sharing with Facebook by the technology journalism website The Markup. Warren and six other lawmakers wrote to the Justice Department on Tuesday urging criminal charges against the companies for violating laws that prevent tax preparers from sharing their clients’ personal information.

Calling the three tax prep companies’ extensive sharing of user data with tech companies “outrageous,” the seven Democrats said the episode is reason enough to support a plan being developed by the IRS to build its own free tax preparation software, rather than steering taxpayers to commercial tax preparation software.

(more)
https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/companies/tax-prep-sites-gave-millions-of-taxpayers-info-to-facebook-and-google/ar-AA1dLjsE
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
Even if the IRS sets up their own site, I do not trust the IRS any more than a commercial vendor.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline Kamaji

Even if the IRS sets up their own site, I do not trust the IRS any more than a commercial vendor.

It would be interesting to find out if the IRS website uses the same sort of pixel coding that these private firms were using.