Author Topic: H&R Block, tax firms allegedly sent Meta info on tens of millions of taxpayers  (Read 383 times)

Offline Kamaji

H&R Block, tax firms allegedly sent Meta info on tens of millions of taxpayers

By Associated Press
July 12, 2023

Three large tax preparation firms sent “extraordinarily sensitive” information on tens of millions of taxpayers to Facebook parent company Meta over the course of at least two years, a group of congressional Democrats reported Wednesday.

Their report urges federal agencies to investigate and potentially go to court over the wealth of information that H&R Block, TaxAct and TaxSlayer shared with the social media giant.

In a letter to the heads of the IRS, the Department of Justice, the Federal Trade Commission and the IRS watchdog, seven lawmakers say their findings “reveal a shocking breach of taxpayer privacy by tax prep companies and by Big Tech firms.”

Their report said highly personal and financial information about sources of taxpayers’ income, tax deductions and exemptions was made accessible to Meta as taxpayers used the tax software to prepare their taxes.

That data came to Meta through its Pixel code, which the tax firms installed on their websites to gather information on how to improve their own marketing campaigns.

The program collected information on taxpayers’ filing status, income, refund amounts, names of dependents, approximate federal tax owed, which buttons were clicked on the tax preparers’ websites and the names of text entry forms that the taxpayer navigated, the report states.

Source:  https://nypost.com/2023/07/12/hr-block-shared-taxpayers-data-with-meta-lawmakers/

Offline Kamaji

Oh boy.  That's gonna leave a mark.

Get ready for the class action lawsuits in 3, 2, ...

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
And now you know why I do my own and mail it in.
The Republic is lost.

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
They have to be able to give you your proper social credit score.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline Kamaji

And now you know why I do my own and mail it in.

:bingo:

Good move!  I do the same.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Vulcan fulminates:
"And now you know why I do my own and mail it in"

Same here.
Instead of writing them out, I now download the forms in pdf format and fill them in on the computer -- but then I print them out "hard copy" and mail them in, as I've always done.

I've never used a paid preparer, ever. Don't see the reason to start now.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2023, 10:26:50 pm by Fishrrman »