Author Topic: Artificial intelligence, free speech, and the First Amendment  (Read 621 times)

Online mountaineer

Artificial intelligence, free speech, and the First Amendment
The FIRE
The rapid advance of artificial intelligence (AI) technology has the potential to profoundly shape our world. Some experts speculate that artificial intelligence could be more transformative than the internet and smartphones. “A.I. has been the fundamental dream of computer science going all the way back to the 1940s,” said technology entrepreneur Marc Andreessen. The consulting firm McKinsey & Company estimates AI could automate about two-thirds of our current work time over the next 20 years.

Advances in communications technology often raise questions about how protections afforded by the First Amendment for free expression will apply to the emerging technologies. Because artificial intelligence is in its nascency, cases involving its use are just beginning to arrive on dockets. We have yet to see how lawmakers and judges will address the challenges posed by this emerging technology. But they will not be writing on a blank slate. First Amendment doctrine does not reset itself after each technological advance, and modern First Amendment jurisprudence has navigated the advent of television, motion pictures, personal computers, the internet, smartphones, and more.

Below, we venture an early analysis of commonly asked questions about artificial intelligence and its possible implications for free speech and the First Amendment. ...

... Any government restriction on the expressive use of AI needs to be narrowly tailored to serve a compelling governmental purpose, and the regulation must restrict as little expression as is necessary to achieve that purpose.  ...

Could the use of artificial intelligence violate intellectual property laws, including copyright? Probably.   ...
Ryne Weiss
@RynoWeiss
Sarah Silverman and other authors are suing OpenAI and Meta for copyright infringement. Coincidentally, @TheFIREorg recently published an explainer on the many pressing questions at the intersection of AI and free speech.  Silverman and her fellow plaintiffs allege copyright infringement in the unauthorized use of their books as training material for AI models.  The rights of copyright holders who find their works used by AI training models raise complex and interesting legal questions – we'll be watching the court action with great interest. It's critical these decisions preserve Fair Use as a broad and speech protective standard.
10:35 AM · Jul 12, 2023
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Re: Artificial intelligence, free speech, and the First Amendment
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2023, 03:52:23 pm »
While I take this seriously, I'm way more concerned on what seems to be the impending rise of Skynet or some variation of it.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2023, 04:00:38 pm »
While I take this seriously, I'm way more concerned on what seems to be the impending rise of Skynet or some variation of it.

Agreed.

Offline berdie

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2023, 07:29:45 pm »

Could you say why? Not being combative...just curious.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2023, 07:39:27 pm »
Could you say why? Not being combative...just curious.

There is a Utubes channel called The Why Files that I subscribe to. He talks about all sorts of Quix (may he RIP) type topics and presents them pretty even handedly.

So last week he covers the AI topic and the possibility of them taking over. Good stuff, till he blew my mind by reading a 'manifesto' actually conceived and written by an AI chatbot of how it/they would take over the world.

Basically it involved hacking and taking control over everything then controlling the world's supply chain, driving people back to the Stone Age, and using drones built by automation to enforce it by targeting any use of on-grid electrical power.

It was a legit strategy. The problem is, it was written by an AI chatbot. You talk about a wakeup call. It may not be Skynet  by nuclear holocaust, but Skynet all the same.

Add: He details more examples. I didn't realize how advanced AI has gotten. It's scary. If we haven't reached sentience, it is darn close.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2023, 07:41:32 pm by Free Vulcan »
The Republic is lost.

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2023, 07:47:43 pm »
There is a Utubes channel called The Why Files that I subscribe to. He talks about all sorts of Quix (may he RIP) type topics and presents them pretty even handedly.

So last week he covers the AI topic and the possibility of them taking over. Good stuff, till he blew my mind by reading a 'manifesto' actually conceived and written by an AI chatbot of how it/they would take over the world.

Basically it involved hacking and taking control over everything then controlling the world's supply chain, driving people back to the Stone Age, and using drones built by automation to enforce it by targeting any use of on-grid electrical power.

It was a legit strategy. The problem is, it was written by an AI chatbot. You talk about a wakeup call. It may not be Skynet  by nuclear holocaust, but Skynet all the same.

Add: He details more examples. I didn't realize how advanced AI has gotten. It's scary. If we haven't reached sentience, it is darn close.

Also, there is a push by various governments to field AI-enabled robots on the battlefield, which is almost literally building skynet.

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2023, 08:21:56 pm »
I remember a movie, before anyone heard of Skynet or the current AI worries, it was called Colossus: The Forbin Project and came out in 1970. To a young teen at the time it was a scary look at what the future might bring.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOxE8EEBwjQ&ab_channel=Saanichman
« Last Edit: July 12, 2023, 08:23:45 pm by GtHawk »