Author Topic: Trump puts Iowa victory at risk with attack on GOP governor  (Read 2828 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Trump puts Iowa victory at risk with attack on GOP governor
by Brett Samuels - 07/12/23 5:30 AM ET

Former President Trump is taking a risk in targeting Iowa Gov. Kim Reynolds (R), picking a fight with an influential and well-liked figure in the first state on next year’s GOP presidential primary calendar.

Trump narrowly finished second in the Iowa caucuses in 2016 but went on to win the GOP nomination, something he could easily repeat this cycle. However, an underwhelming performance in the Hawkeye State in 2024 could open the door to a viable challenger building momentum early in the primary calendar.

Trump, apparently irked by Reynolds’s recent appearances with Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis (R) and his wife, Casey, and triggered by a New York Times story highlighting the tensions between the former president and the governor, chastised Reynolds in a social media post Monday over whether she is being “neutral” in the primary process.

The Truth Social post was typical of Trump, who is quick to call out those he deems as insufficiently loyal. But the move left some in the state scratching their heads and may further alienate voters who were already considering an alternative heading into next year’s caucus.

“Forest Gump says, ‘stupid is as stupid does.’ My Mom says don’t call anyone, ‘stupid.’ So, I won’t. However, this isn’t smart. Iowa is wide open,” tweeted Bob Vander Plaats, head of The Family Leader, a major conservative group in Iowa.

more
https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/4091579-trump-gambles-iowa-attack-governor-kim-reynolds/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Re: Trump puts Iowa victory at risk with attack on GOP governor
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2023, 01:36:03 pm »
This guy's using the Hillary approach thinking he's got it won, so he can do as he pleases. He might have another thing coming in Iowa if he keeps this up.
The Republic is lost.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2023, 01:42:14 pm »
This guy's using the Hillary approach thinking he's got it won, so he can do as he pleases. He might have another thing coming in Iowa if he keeps this up.

Most definitely Trump thinks he's already won.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2023, 01:44:31 pm »

:thumbsup:

Offline DefiantMassRINO

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2023, 02:47:18 pm »
Trump thinks he's more inevitable than Hillary.  Hubris is a political liability, not an asset.
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2023, 03:52:11 pm »
That's the pseudo-tough guy New York way.  If someone isn't on your side, they're the enemy and should be treated as such.  Then he'll expect all that crap to be forgotten and laughed over when it is all done.

Except that's not the way most of the people in the country outside of New York think.  They'll remember it and resent it because nobody like to feel like they're being played.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2023, 03:52:57 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2023, 04:02:07 pm »
That's the pseudo-tough guy New York way.  If someone isn't on your side, they're the enemy and should be treated as such.  Then he'll expect all that crap to be forgotten and laughed over when it is all done.

Except that's not the way most of the people in the country outside of New York think.  They'll remember it and resent it because nobody like to feel like they're being played.

No it's not. To paraphrase a saying I heard decades ago - 'Iowa boys: quiet, but good in a fight.' Everyone stereotypes Iowa as Norman Rockwell 'farm country'. Yeah we are, but we aren't.

Most of the river towns particularly in the south and east are, or more were, blue collar manufacturing base. People can play Trump's game and turn into Jersey thugs and street brawlers in a quick second if that's how you want to play it.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2023, 05:26:10 pm »

Wishful thinking.

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2023, 05:37:06 pm »
Trump puts Iowa victory at risk with attack on GOP governor

88devil

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2023, 07:38:38 pm »
Wishful thinking.
Only a Trumpolyte would believe you get support from the people you piss on, and Trumps been doin an awful lot of pissin!

Offline libertybele

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2023, 07:44:38 pm »
Only a Trumpolyte would believe you get support from the people you piss on, and Trumps been doin an awful lot of pissin!

Indeed he has and on all the wrong people.  Go figure -- but same thing he's been doing all along.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline ScottinVA

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2023, 10:40:22 pm »

He may very well win the GOP nomination, because the MAGAs would rather lose with Trump than win with anyone else.  But there is no damned way Trump can win the general election.

Offline LMAO

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2023, 11:55:23 pm »
He may very well win the GOP nomination, because the MAGAs would rather lose with Trump than win with anyone else.  But there is no damned way Trump can win the general election.

There is a scenario where Trump could win a general election and it’s a repeat of what happened in 2016.

Democrats could stay home in sufficient numbers like they did in 2016 because they A) either didn’t like Hillary or,(B) figured she was going to win it anyway so they didn’t bother showing up to vote for her.

Democrats could become dissatisfied enough with Biden that they may decide just to stay home on election night. It’s a long shot and it’s something that hasn’t been repeated since 2016. But anything is possible
« Last Edit: July 13, 2023, 12:26:09 am by LMAO »
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline deb

• Sinner saved by grace.
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2023, 01:33:49 am »
There is a scenario where Trump could win a general election and it’s a repeat of what happened in 2016.

Democrats could stay home in sufficient numbers like they did in 2016 because they A) either didn’t like Hillary or,(B) figured she was going to win it anyway so they didn’t bother showing up to vote for her.

Democrats could become dissatisfied enough with Biden that they may decide just to stay home on election night. It’s a long shot and it’s something that hasn’t been repeated since 2016. But anything is possible

But it won’t happen that way, unfortunately. The left’s dislike of Trump will motivate them to the polls. It will be more of a vote against Trump than a vote for their candidate.
Brothers, sisters, come on down to that river
Guaranteed you'll never be the same
There's a fountain flowing from the heart of the Savior
Bring your sins and all your guilty stains
Let that river of life wash it all away

River of Life - Mac Powell

Offline LMAO

« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2023, 02:08:18 am »
But it won’t happen that way, unfortunately. The left’s dislike of Trump will motivate them to the polls. It will be more of a vote against Trump than a vote for their candidate.

And we saw that in 2020 and against Trump endorsed candidates in 2022

Democrats also made the 2018 midterm election a referendum on Trump

But there is a possibility, however slim, that the 2016 scenario could play out again.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2023, 02:20:10 am by LMAO »
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2023, 02:27:01 am »
:thumbsup: That is the bottom line. Trump is hated by independents and moderates more than ever before.
Few Dems like Biden, but he still has the edge over Trump in most polls.
Let's get behind a person who has good chance to win...DeSantis.

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2023, 02:29:23 am »
That's what happened in 2020. More people disliked Trump than disliked Biden.
Irritating people because they won't kiss your rear end is no way to run a railroad...or win an election.

Offline LMAO

« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2023, 02:40:11 am »
That's what happened in 2020. More people disliked Trump than disliked Biden.
Irritating people because they won't kiss your rear end is no way to run a railroad...or win an election.

What happened in 2022, in my view, could be an indication of what will happen in 2024. The left put money and effort to promote MAGA endorsed candidates in their primaries, which resulted in many of them going on to lose the general election. When I read about that tactic,pre election, I didn’t think it would work. After all, the country was unhappy with Biden and the Democrats. But  it worked. Pretty well

What’s to stop the left from adopting a similar tactic in the 2024 GOP presidential primaries to make sure Trump is the nominee where they can?

« Last Edit: July 13, 2023, 02:49:56 am by LMAO »

Barry Goldwater

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2023, 05:17:13 am »
It always amazes me that the Trump voting idiots think this is the way to treat folks that don't kiss Trump's behind. Forgetting that it always comes back to bite them in the butt in the long run. There is a time to draw out differences between you and others, but tact says this had zero practical advantage for Trump other than to alienate more voters. Why does Trump continue to think this is some stupid TV show. 
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Offline deb

• Sinner saved by grace.
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2023, 12:30:44 pm »
It always amazes me that the Trump voting idiots think this is the way to treat folks that don't kiss Trump's behind. Forgetting that it always comes back to bite them in the butt in the long run. There is a time to draw out differences between you and others, but tact says this had zero practical advantage for Trump other than to alienate more voters. Why does Trump continue to think this is some stupid TV show.

Because he has surrounded himself with enough sTRUMPettes who tell him he’s god and that he is not capable of making a strategic mistake.
Brothers, sisters, come on down to that river
Guaranteed you'll never be the same
There's a fountain flowing from the heart of the Savior
Bring your sins and all your guilty stains
Let that river of life wash it all away

River of Life - Mac Powell

« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2023, 07:37:52 pm »
 88devil. Can't help but wonder if part of this video finds its way into a campaign ad ......

'Iowa Governor Kim Reynolds made a really bad choice". (Video)

https://twitter.com/miguelifornia/status/1679569281653284864

« Last Edit: July 13, 2023, 07:43:12 pm by Right_in_Virginia »

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2023, 10:56:20 pm »
88devil. Can't help but wonder if part of this video finds its way into a campaign ad ......

'Iowa Governor Kim Reynolds made a really bad choice". (Video)

https://twitter.com/miguelifornia/status/1679569281653284864

Could you repeat that? You're so far up in the cheap seats I can't hear you.
The Republic is lost.

« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2023, 01:05:09 am »
Could you repeat that? You're so far up in the cheap seats I can't hear you.

Ask someone to let you into the stadium.  It's a longshot --- but give it a try. 

Good luck.  :crossed:

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2023, 11:40:39 am »
Ask someone to let you into the stadium.  It's a longshot --- but give it a try. 

Good luck.  :crossed:

Funny, you're there, I'm here. I can't even feel the breeze from your cheerleader pompoms.

Maybe you're at the wrong game.
The Republic is lost.

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2023, 12:00:48 pm »

Because using the "reality TV" paradigm has been successful for him in the past, and it is the only playbook he knows. He is very effective at it. By doing the opposite of what any rational candidate would do, he makes himself the center of attention, and that robs the other candidates of the oxygen needed to get the spotlight turned in another direction.

DeSantis and the other challengers are getting no traction because Trump makes himself the story. There is no such thing as negative publicity when it comes to Trump. There is only the spotlight, and so long as it is focused on him, it will not be focused on others.

This is pure marketing genius, and until DeSantis or someone else figures out how to overcome it, Trump will be the leader of the GOP.