Author Topic: Trump fights to delay classified docs trial until after 2024 election  (Read 538 times)

Offline Kamaji

Trump fights to delay classified docs trial until after 2024 election

By Lee Brown
July 11, 2023

Former President Donald Trump is fighting to have his classified documents trial pushed back until after the 2024 presidential election for the sake of “American democracy.”

Lawyers for the 77-year-old Republican frontrunner filed a motion late Monday arguing that the current schedule to go to trial on Dec. 11 is “unreasonable, telling, and would result in a miscarriage of justice.”

“This extraordinary case presents a serious challenge to both the fact and perception of our American democracy,” wrote Trump’s legal team.

“The court now presides over a prosecution advanced by the administration of a sitting President against his chief political rival, himself a leading candidate for the presidency of the United States.”

It would be unfairly “challenging” for Trump to defend himself in an “unprecedented” legal case for allegedly stashing top secret White House docs while also running for president again, argued the filing also on behalf of his aide and co-accused Walter Nauta.

Source:  https://nypost.com/2023/07/11/trump-wants-classified-docs-trial-delayed-until-after-election/

Offline Kamaji

“This extraordinary case presents a serious challenge to both the fact and perception of our American democracy,”

:facepalm2:

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
I actually believe the motion is solid, and there's a decent chance it will be granted, at least in part, and enough to delay trial past the election.

Truth is that the government spent more than two years digging into all this stuff, and building their case.  So it isn't quite fair to stick Trump with a fast trial date especially given all the complications due to classified documents.  And, the government appears to be continuing its investigation, and perhaps deliberately withholding the right to file additional charges.  So given that the government itself isn't even done with this 2+ year investigation, how the hell can the defense fairly prepare at this point?

Offline libertybele

I actually believe the motion is solid, and there's a decent chance it will be granted, at least in part, and enough to delay trial past the election.

Truth is that the government spent more than two years digging into all this stuff, and building their case.  So it isn't quite fair to stick Trump with a fast trial date especially given all the complications due to classified documents.  And, the government appears to be continuing its investigation, and perhaps deliberately withholding the right to file additional charges.  So given that the government itself isn't even done with this 2+ year investigation, how the hell can the defense fairly prepare at this point?

Several of Trump's lawyers have quit.  I wonder at this point if he's even been able to find a good legal defense team.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
Several of Trump's lawyers have quit.  I wonder at this point if he's even been able to find a good legal defense team.

Probably not first-stringers, but the motion itself is competently drafted by his lawyers.  Obviously, that isn't the same as actually running/managing such a highly complex and novel criminal case.  But the Motion itself shows a basic degree of competence.

Offline DefiantMassRINO

Does that mean Tangerine Mussolini will move up the many trials for his Janury 6th Spray Tan Putsch ... to help with the fact and the perception of American democracy?

////00000////

Surely, American voters deserve to know if the person for whom they are voting is, or is not, the leader of a FAILED (Once again, you FAILED, Donald!  You are a FAILURE many times over!) coup d'etat.

I only vote for WINNERS! ... or SUCCESSFUL! leaders of a coup d'etat.  Not LOSERS! and FAILURES! like Trump.

Trump's statue can joing George H W Bush and Jimmy Carter in the Hall of LOSING! Presidents.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2023, 08:38:28 pm by DefiantMassRINO »
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
THis is lining up to be a true Constitutional crisis IMO, if Trump wins.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2023, 09:39:21 pm by Weird Tolkienish Figure »

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Mark R. Levin
@marklevinshow

This is a thoroughly rational and appropriate motion by President Trump's lawyers, one that I suggested on Life, Libert & Levin. 

This trial should be delayed until after the election, if not dismissed altogether by the way (I assume there will be subsequent motion filings in this regard, as suggested by Trump's lawyers); if the DOJ/Garland/Smith object, it will definitively prove that among the primary purposes of this persecution is to interfere with the presidential election. 

There are no statute of limitations issues.  There are no emergency issues (the government has the documents)

https://npr.org/2023/07/11/1186926582/trump-asks-the-judge-to-delay-the-start-of-his-classified-documents-trial

9:19 AM · Jul 11, 2023