Author Topic: Kentucky man finds over 700 Civil War-era coins buried in his cornfield  (Read 540 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Live Science by Kristina Killgrove 7/10/2023

A man unearthed a huge hoard of Civil War-era gold and silver coins on his Kentucky farm.

A Kentucky man got the surprise of his life while digging in his field earlier this year: a cache of over 700 coins from the American Civil War era.

The "Great Kentucky Hoard" includes hundreds of U.S. gold pieces dating to between 1840 and 1863, in addition to a handful of silver coins. In a short video, the man who discovered the hoard — whose identity and specific location have not been revealed to the public — says, "This is the most insane thing ever: Those are all $1 gold coins, $20 gold coins, $10 gold coins," as he aims his camera at the artifacts tumbling out of the dirt.

According to the Numismatic Guaranty Co. (NGC), which certified the coins' authenticity, and GovMint, where the coins were sold, 95% of the hoard is composed of gold dollars, along with 20 $10 Liberty coins and eight $20 Liberty coins. The rarest is the 1863-P $20 1-ounce gold Liberty coin. Just one of these coins can go for six figures at auction, and the Great Kentucky Hoard boasts 18 of them. NGC's website notes that the $20 Liberty coin, which circulated from 1850 to 1907, was minted by the Treasury Department after gold was discovered in California. The $20 Liberty coins in the hoard are even rarer because they do not include "In God We Trust," which was added in 1866 after the end of the Civil War.

More:https://www.livescience.com/archaeology/kentucky-man-finds-over-700-civil-war-era-coins-buried-in-his-cornfield

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JDUdmp-L3Q

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
If he wasn't retired his is now.
The Republic is lost.

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Why don't stuff like this happen to me.... :shrug:
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
I didn't look at the video..is there an estimate of what it's all worth?
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline goatprairie

I remember as a five year old or so finding two nickels in the middle of the unpaved street in front of my house.
 And some years later at a local festival me and another kid digging into a sawdust pile getting to keep all the nickels and dimes we found. I was thrilled both times namely because getting money out of my old man (who was the only breadwinner in the family) was like getting blood from a stone.
I wonder what went through this guy's mind when the gold coins started popping up?
 And how many other farmers are now going to get metal detectors or backhoes and start digging on their property?