Author Topic: Time To Think About The Unthinkable  (Read 163 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Time To Think About The Unthinkable
« on: July 10, 2023, 02:11:32 pm »
Time To Think About The Unthinkable
By Francis P. Sempa
July 07, 2023AP

Twice in the 1950s, the Eisenhower administration threatened to use nuclear weapons to defend Taiwan from a Communist Chinese invasion. Writing in The Diplomat, Yi-Lan Fang and Lin Tzu-Yao, both of whom have served as legislative assistants in the Legislative Yuan, Taiwan’s unicameral legislature, argue that the United States should extend its nuclear umbrella to the island. They view this step as a practical alternative to Taiwan developing its own nuclear deterrent. And they note that Taiwan’s Foreign Minister has confirmed that “the issue has been discussed, without elaborating as to the content of the discussion.”

The EurAsian Times reports that Taiwan’s Foreign Minister Joseph Wu told legislators that “Taipei and Washington are engaged in talks” about the American nuclear umbrella being used to deter a Chinese invasion. And the paper quotes Su Tzu-yun, a research fellow at Taiwan’s Institute for National Defense and Security, who observed that “the extension of an ally’s nuclear umbrella over Taiwan would significantly benefit Taiwan’s security” by reducing “its susceptibility to nuclear coercion.” 

After China conducted its first successful nuclear weapons test in the early 1960s, Taiwan’s government under Chiang Kai-shek sought to acquire nuclear weapons. A key player in Taiwan’s nuclear research, Dr. Chang Hsien-yi, studied nuclear engineering in the United States and was recruited by the Central Intelligence Agency which enabled the United States to monitor the progress of Taiwan’s effort to acquire nuclear weapons. According to Yi-Lan Fang and Lin Tzu-Yao, Chang defected to the U.S. in 1988, after which Washington persuaded the Taiwanese government to end its nuclear weapons program. Since then, successive U.S. administrations have relied on a policy of “strategic ambiguity” to deter China from forcibly annexing Taiwan.

https://www.realcleardefense.com/articles/2023/07/07/time_to_think_about_the_unthinkable_964795.html
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline DefiantMassRINO

Re: Time To Think About The Unthinkable
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2023, 02:27:32 pm »
World Powers are reluctant to attack countries with offensive nuclear weapons.

Taiwain may want to follow North Korea's lead, and develop its own secret nuclear weapons program ... VietNam, Philippines, Malaysia, Indonesia, and Australia may want to do the same ... especially as US has proven itself to be an unreliable and reluctant security partner in Ukraine.

Ukraine gave away its nukes, and look what's happened.  Never give away your nukes!
« Last Edit: July 10, 2023, 08:54:41 pm by DefiantMassRINO »
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.