Author Topic: Investigation finds Clarence Thomas accepted more undisclosed gifts from wealthy friends through eli  (Read 606 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Investigation finds Clarence Thomas accepted more undisclosed gifts from wealthy friends through elite association
by Lauren Sforza - 07/09/23 6:04 PM ET

A New York Times investigation revealed that Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas was brought access to the wealthy through relationships he built with members of the Horatio Alger Association of Distinguished Americans.

The Times reported that just months after Thomas joined the bench in 1991, he was welcomed into the Horatio Alger Association, a nonprofit scholarship organization, where he forged relationships with a select group of largely wealthy conservatives. This organization granted him access to wealthy friends who gifted Thomas with vacation retreats and V.I.P. tickets to sporting events, as well as invited him to parties, according to The Times.

The Times’s investigation discovered that Thomas received benefits from the members of the association and large donors to conservative causes. Among many of the contacts he made through the group was David Sokol, an investor and former executive at Berkshire Hathaway, who hosted Thomas and his wife Ginny at their ranch in Montana and property in Florida.

The investigation said that Thomas did not disclose many of the gifts and trips over the last two decades reported by the Times. Thomas used to report the personal gifts and travel benefits he received, but the Times reported that after a 2004 investigation by The Los Angeles Times came out about his disclosures, he largely stopped disclosing them.

The Times noted that Sokol, along with other members of the association, also funded the marketing for an HBO film about Anita Hill’s allegations of sexual harassment brought against Thomas. Thomas has also been a speaker at the Horatio Alger Association’s annual inaugural reception and ceremony, which he has hosted at the Supreme Court, according to the investigation.

According to the association’s website, Thomas is an honorary member of the board of directors. The Hill has reached out to the Horatio Alger Association for comment.

more
https://thehill.com/regulation/court-battles/4087798-investigation-finds-clarence-thomas-accepted-more-undisclosed-gifts-from-wealthy-friends-through-elite-association/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online Kamaji

They just want to get rid of him by any means necessary.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
 NY Times puts out another left-wing hit piece on Justice Clarence Thomas as media, Dems undermine institution they can’t control
July 9, 2023 10:28pm

So, judges are not allowed to have friends now, according to The New York Times.

The liberal organ’s character assassination of Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas continued over the weekend with a hefty hit piece titled “Where Clarence Thomas Entered an Elite Circle and Opened a Door to the Court.”

The other 4,000 words are laced with the usual smear and innuendo we’ve come to expect from the left in their attempts to destroy the court’s most consequential justice.

Let’s cut to the chase.

This is the Democrats and their media allies undermining an institution they can’t control.

That’s all.

Their problem with Thomas is that he’s black, conservative and effective.

And that is not allowed.

If you’re not in lockstep with the leftist agenda, then “you ain’t black,” to quote Joe Biden’s immortal phrase when he lost his temper with a black radio host he thought was not being sufficiently obsequious.

Dems hate Clarence Thomas, all right.

The second African-American judge to sit on the court and its longest-serving member, he is a threat to their lock on the black vote and a rebuke to their self-serving “equity” agenda of institutionally sanctioned racism.

But there is nothing among all the thin tales of rich friends to justify all the journalistic resources, nothing to suggest that Thomas, 75, has allowed those friendships to influence his decisions, or that his friends ever have had cases before the court.

more
https://nypost.com/2023/07/09/new-york-times-puts-out-another-left-wing-hit-piece-on-justice-clarence-thomas/
By Miranda Devine
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline DefiantMassRINO

Clarance Thomas biggest threat may be charges of filing false tax returns for not delcaring those gifts on his taxes.

You just can't takes millions of dollars in gifts, and not delcare it.  No, you setup a "foundation", and have the money funnelled there.

« Last Edit: July 10, 2023, 07:45:59 pm by DefiantMassRINO »
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
They just want to get rid of him by any means necessary.

Yep! Same with Ken Paxton in Texas!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline mountaineer

Latest Clarence Thomas Corruption Shocker: He Belongs To Group That Helps Poor Kids Go To College
By: David Harsanyi
July 11, 2023

In the latest smear of Clarence Thomas, The New York Times reports that the justice has been a longtime member of an “elite circle” known as the Horatio Alger Association.

This dubious syndicate of wealthy Americans, named after “the Gilded Age author whose rags-to-riches novels represented an aspirational version of Justice Thomas’ own bootstraps origin story,” has handed out around $245 million in college scholarships to approximately 35,000 students. It doesn’t stop there, I’m afraid. The Times reports that Thomas — and you may want to sit down for this — was “meeting with and mentoring the recipients of millions of dollars a year in Horatio Alger college scholarships, many of whom come from backgrounds that mirror his own.”

Now, I don’t even feign to grasp the journalistic virtuosity needed to be a New York Times reporter, but my amateur guess is that the Horatio Alger Association really blew Thomas’ cover when publicly giving him an award and then listing his, and every members’, name on its website. As Star Chambers go, this has to be one of the sloppiest. ...

One of the keys to convincing credulous leftists that a conspiracy is afoot is to frame the Horatio Alger Association as a “conservative” cabal where corrupt schemes to steal democracy are hatched. And while the Horatio Alger Association has boasted members such as Colin Powell, Condoleezza Rice, Dwight Eisenhower, Gerald Ford, and Ronald Reagan, it has also welcomed Hank Aaron, Maya Angelou, Michael Bloomberg, Tom Brokaw, Carol Burnett, George Foreman, Leo DiCaprio, Dr. J, Wayne Gretzky, and Oprah Winfrey, among scores of other household names. So, not exactly the John Birch Society. Not even the Federalist Society.  ...
The Federalist

A guy I used to work with in the local GOP is part of the Horatio Alger Society. He isn't wealthy - far from it - but derives much satisfaction helping students with their education. Oh, the humanity!!
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org