Author Topic: US Treasury Secretary Janet Yellen commits ‘embarrassing’ bow during Beijing visit  (Read 537 times)

Online Kamaji

US Treasury Secretary Janet Yellen commits ‘embarrassing’ bow during Beijing visit: ‘Never, ever, ever’

By Mary Kay Linge
July 8, 2023

US Treasury Secretary Janet Yellen committed a string of diplomatic faux pas during her visit to Beijing Saturday, bowing to her Chinese counterpart multiple times without reciprocation — a protocol error that critics flagged as a sign of American weakness.

The Biden administration’s top economic official, on the second day of her four-day effort to mend fences with a major rival, bowed at least three times as she shook hands with Vice Premier He Lifeng, video shows — while He, Xi Jinping’s new economy czar, stood erect, backing away slightly to give the beaming Yellen more room to kowtow.

“Never, ever, ever,” Bradley Blakeman, a senior staffer in George W. Bush’s White House, told The Post. “An American official does not bow. It looks like she’s been summoned to the principal’s office, and that’s exactly the optics the Chinese love.”

“Bowing is not part of the accepted protocol,” agreed Jerome A. Cohen, an emeritus professor at NYU and expert in Chinese law and government.

Moments later, Yellen, 76, tripped over He’s name, calling him “Vice Premier Hu” as she opened the first official American meeting with the economic chief, a Xi loyalist who was named to the post in March.

Source:  https://nypost.com/2023/07/08/us-treasury-secretary-janet-yellen-commits-embarrassing-bow-during-beijing-visit/

Online Kamaji

O.M.G.

What is it with liberals and bowing-and-scraping to authoritarians?

Offline libertybele

Yellen should have been replaced awhile ago.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline LMAO

O.M.G.

What is it with liberals and bowing-and-scraping to authoritarians?

Envy? Admiration?
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline mountaineer

I understand the perpetually vacationing Biden hasn't spoken to Yellen. Ah well,  it's only China. Who cares.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline libertybele

I think she was nervous and intimidated.  Again, she needs to go.  She's done far more harm than good.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online Kamaji

I think she was nervous and intimidated.  Again, she needs to go.  She's done far more harm than good.

:thumbsup:

Offline Timber Rattler

• Conservative Purist and Patriot

Who in their right mind would send this incompetent hack to Beijing to engage in such delicate diplomacy, being so intimidated by the ChiComs and unprepared.  She looks like a robot in that video and signaled U.S. submission to China!  For crying out loud, she's #5 in the presidential line of succession!
aka "nasty degenerate SOB," "worst of the worst at Free Republic," "Garbage Troll," "Neocon Warmonger," "Filthy Piece of Trash," "damn $#%$#@!," "Silly f'er," "POS," "war pig," "neocon scumbag," "insignificant little ankle nipper," "@ss-clown," "neocuck," "termite," "Uniparty Deep stater," "Never Trump sack of dog feces," "avid Bidenista," "filthy Ukrainian," "war whore," "fricking chump," psychopathic POS, and depraved SOB.

"In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act."  ---George Orwell

"If you want peace, prepare for war." ---Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
Who in their right mind would send this incompetent hack to Beijing to engage in such delicate diplomacy, being so intimidated by the ChiComs and unprepared.  She looks like a robot in that video and signaled U.S. submission to China!  For crying out loud, she's #5 in the presidential line of succession!
She is not far behind Biden in the mental decline department, that's my impression from her being completely lost when asked a question in the recent congressional hearings.

Offline mountaineer

Isaac Stone Fish
@isaacstonefish
Why are three senior U.S. officials visiting Beijing, without any reciprocal visits from Chinese officials to Washington? First Sec. State Blinken, then Treas. Sec. Yellen, and then a planned Climate Envoy Kerry visit. Three visits in a row like this may be unprecedented, and a sign of weakness. (The last significant Chinese visit was the relatively junior Commerce Minister in late May.)
10:15 AM · Jul 9, 2023
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org