Author Topic: Military (Former and Present) Funerals and Repatriations of MIAs Remains  (Read 6993 times)

Online Kamaji

WWII sailor remains returned to NJ nearly 80 years after battle crash

By Angela Barbuti
July 8, 2023

After almost 80 years, a World War II sailor’s remains once declared “non-recoverable” were returned to his New Jersey home.

Anthony Di Petta, a Nutley, N.J., resident who served as a US Navy aviation ordnanceman during World War II, was brought home on Friday, the Department of Defense said.

The 24-year-old’s plane was shot down by enemy fire in September 1944 while he was on a mission in the Western Pacific.

The plane was conducting air strikes against enemy targets in Malakal Naval District, Palau Islands, when it crashed into the Pacific Ocean.

The Grumman TBM-1c Avenger was last seen spinning violently at 5,000 feet.

Source:  https://nypost.com/2023/07/08/wwii-sailor-from-njs-remains-returned-after-nearly-80-years/

Offline SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
 :0001:
RIP
Throwing our allegiances to political parties in the long run gave away our liberty.

Online mountaineer

:patriot:
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Military (Former and Present) Funerals and Repatriations of MIAs Remains
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2023, 01:32:36 pm »
Remains of WWII soldier from Boston identified after 79 years
By Alyssa Guzman
July 12, 2023 6:16pm  Updated

Wing O Hom
Wing O Hom, 20, of Boston, an Army private, who went missing in action nearly 80 years ago, has finally been identified after his body was exhumed in Italy and sent to the US for testing last year.

An Army private, who went missing in action nearly 80 years ago, has finally been identified after his body was exhumed in Italy and sent to the US for testing last year.

Wing O Hom, 20, of Boston, was serving in Company B, 7th Infantry Regiment, 3rd Infantry Division when he was reported missing on Feb. 2, 1944, in Cisterna di Latina, roughly 45 miles outside of Rome, according to the Defense POW/MIA Accounting Agency (DPAA).

His body wasn’t discovered until 1946 in Ponte Rotto, three miles from Cisterna di Latina, by the American Graves Registration Company.

He was found with no identification and was transferred to the Central Identification Point in Nettuno.

https://nypost.com/2023/07/12/remains-of-wwii-soldier-wing-o-hom-identified-after-79-years/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: Remains of WWII soldier from Boston identified after 79 years
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2023, 01:34:58 pm »
 :flag:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Online Kamaji

Re: Remains of WWII soldier from Boston identified after 79 years
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2023, 02:53:26 pm »
Wow.

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Military (Former and Present) Funerals and Repatriations of MIAs Remains
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2023, 04:30:13 pm »
Pilot bodies returned home after going missing in Vietnam 54 years ago
By
Miguel Ortiz
Updated on
Jul 19, 2023

Decades after they went missing in Vietnam, Col. Ernest Leo De Soto and Capt. Frederick Mervyn Hall were finally accounted for.

To date, over 1,060 service members lost in the Vietnam War have been identified through the tireless efforts of the Defense POW/MIA Accounting Agency. Nearly 52 years after they went missing near Quang Nam Province, Vietnam, Col. Ernest Leo De Soto and Capt. Frederick Mervyn Hall were finally accounted for. Another two years later, De Soto finally returned home.

Born on December 30, 1931, De Soto was raised in San Francisco, California. During the Korean War, he enlisted in the U.S. Air Force. Turning service into a career, De Soto earned a commission as an officer and became a fighter pilot. On April 12, 1969, De Soto flew an F-4D Phantom II with the 390th Tactical Fighter Squadron, 336th Tactical Fighter Wing. With Hall in the back seat and another aircraft on his wing, De Soto took off from Da Nang Air Force Base, Vietnam on a strike mission.

De Soto's wife said that, "He loved to fly, and he loved being an American, that was his life." (DPAA)

When the mission was canceled, both aircraft ascended through heavy cloud cover. That's when the other aircrew noticed that De Soto and Hall were nowhere to be seen. Although an aerial search and rescue effort located the crash site, there was no sign that either airman survived. Moreover, heavy enemy activity in the area prevented a ground search. A subsequent investigation revealed that De Soto and Hall's Phantom crashed into a mountain ridge.

https://www.wearethemighty.com/military-news/pilots-body-returned-home-after-going-missing-in-vietnam-54-years-ago/
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
 :flag:
Thomas Jefferson

Offline PeteS in CA

They were buried in Golden Gate National Cemetery in San Bruno, the burial place of Admirals Nimitz, Spruance, and Lockwood, and of countless "ordinary" seamen and PFCs.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Although an aerial search and rescue effort located the crash site, there was no sign that either airman survived. Moreover, heavy enemy activity in the area prevented a ground search. A subsequent investigation revealed that De Soto and Hall's Phantom crashed into a mountain ridge.

@rangerrebew

Code for they were flying bombing missions inside Laos,Cambodia,or North VN.

"We" (the US Military) almost always sent in teams to try to rescue shot-down pilots regardless of where they were flying when shot down,but not when they were shot down in Laos,Cambodia,or North VN,and "overflies" indicated there was no chance of their being any survivors.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
@mystery-ak

Myst,is there ANY chance of sometimes starting a dedicated thread about burial ceremonies for MIA's,and WHERE and WHEN they will be taking place?

I am NOT going to write that I would "like" to go to any within driving distance of where I live,because that would be a lie.

I DO feel compelled to pay my respects to these long-lost heroes if I ever get the chance,though.

The sad,sad,truth is that the actions of some of these pilots are the only reason that I and others I knew did manage to make it back home,and I flat-out OWE them the debt of paying my respects in person if possible.

Everybody likes to think the "zoomies" had an easy life of luxury,dropping bombs on the enemy  from thousands of feet up in the air,and while that WAS true SOME OF THE TIME,at other times they were coming in so low the people on the ground could read the lettering on the cockpits while recieving enemy ground fire,and I don't give a damn WHAT your standards of courage are,THAT took some serious stones!

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
@sneakypete

Good idea!  About 20 years ago, a SEAL from this area was killed and his remains flown back for burial.  The cemetery was about 15 miles from the airport down a highway that narrowed to two lanes about 5 miles from the airport.  The route that was to be taken was announced before hand and on the day his body returned, the road was lined on both sides with people saluting and waving American flags.  It was a moving tribute.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
He chased bin Laden. He jumped from planes. He deployed to Afghanistan at 71.

An image of Sergeant Major (retired) William “Billy” Waugh is displayed in a slide show during USSOCOM’s memorial ceremony for Waugh on Tuesday, June 27, 2023, at MacDill Airforce Base in Tampa.

Andrew Long
Tampa Bay Times
(TNS)

TAMPA — In Billy Waugh’s final years, Gen. Bryan Fenton, the commander of the U.S. Special Operations Command at MacDill Air Force Base, made Waugh an offer he knew he’d find tempting.

“Billy, you look really fit,” Fenton said. “Why don’t you come back, and let’s go get back in with our troops. Let’s go jump out of some planes. Let’s go riding around Tampa.”

By Angelino's Coffee

Waugh’s wife, Lynn, had to interject.

“Don’t say that,” she said. “He’ll do it.”

Waugh, a longtime military special operative nicknamed the “Godfather of the Green Berets” who lived in Lutz, died in April at 93. He was honored with a memorial at MacDill late last month surrounded by hundreds from around the special operations community.

https://warisboring.com/he-chased-bin-laden-he-jumped-from-planes-he-deployed-to-afghanistan-at-71/
Thomas Jefferson

Offline PeteS in CA

A Stickied thread for such news.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Billy Waugh  was something special "with wheels on".

Take note of a photo from the first recorded fight between the Taliban and the Resistance in Afghanistan. The man on the white stallion leading the Calvary charge was 71 year old (at that time) Billy Waugh.

He was retired from the US Army at that time,and working for the CIA.

BTW,he did NOT make that Halo jump into combat. He WAS the one that came up with  the idea,organized it,arranged for the team training,and set it up,but he  didn't jump because he was the senior NCO at SOG's FOB-1 at Phu Bi (Danang)at that time.

« Last Edit: July 22, 2023, 04:43:45 pm by sneakypete »

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Sailor killed at Pearl Harbor finally laid to rest near Kentucky home
Luke Gentile

After eight decades, the remains belonging to a sailor who was killed during the Japanese surprise attack on Pearl Harbor were finally laid to rest with full military honors Saturday near his boyhood home.

Navy Seaman 1st Class Elmer P. Lawrence, 25, died Dec. 7, 1941, while aboard the USS Oklahoma, according to a news release from the Defense POW/MIA Accounting Agency.

"The USS Oklahoma sustained multiple torpedo hits, which caused it to quickly capsize. The attack on the ship resulted in the deaths of 429 crewmen, including Lawrence," the release read.

"From December 1941 to June 1944, Navy personnel recovered the remains of the deceased crew, which were subsequently interred in the Halawa and Nu’uanu Cemeteries."

Remains belonging to Lawrence were identified in early 2021 through DNA testing, but a proper burial near his boyhood home of Park City, Kentucky, finally took place Saturday in Railton, according to a report.

Lawrence's cousin, Nashville singer-songwriter Sheila Lawrence, led the effort to bring her family home, the report noted.

Elmer Lawrence was the oldest child, and his death at Pearl Harbor broke his family.

"It broke everybody’s heart, even though none of us, hardly any of us alive now knew him, but we knew him because they kept his memory alive," Sheila Lawrence said. "They kept Elmer with all of us."

After his death, Lawrence was awarded the Purple Heart and a Bronze Star, and bringing his remains home was a final honor.

"It was important to my dad," Sheila said. "My dad was three years younger than Elmer and he really thought he was the bee's knees."

Todd Mantioch, an advocate for POW/MIA service members, echoed Sheila's sentiment.

"For him to set foot on Kentucky’s soil after all that time, it literally gave us chills," Mantioch said.

"He's going to be home, laid to rest next to his mom and dad where he was supposed to be at the age of 25, 81 years ago."  8888crybaby

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/sailor-killed-at-pearl-harbor-laid-to-rest-kentucky

more
USS Oklahoma Sailor Accounted For From World War II (Lawrence, E.)

https://www.dpaa.mil/News-Stories/News-Releases/PressReleaseArticleView/Article/2548155/uss-oklahoma-sailor-accounted-for-from-world-war-ii-lawrence-e/
« Last Edit: July 24, 2023, 05:19:39 pm by mystery-ak »
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Being a diver at Pearl Harbor in Dec of 1941 HAS to have been THE worse job in the world. I honestly don't understand how they were able to deal with  it,day after day for months.

I know I couldn't have done it,and I am not ashamed to admit it.

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Hundreds of motorcyclists will join funeral procession for Navy veteran set to be buried alone
boston
BY MIKE SULLIVAN

AUGUST 9, 2023 / 6:19 PM / CBS BOSTON

WEYMOUTH - Hundreds of motorcycle riders will see a local veteran off to his final resting place. He was set to be buried alone.

Anthony Meizis was a Lance Corporal in the Navy during the time of the Vietnam War. He is set to be buried at the Massachusetts National Cemetery in Bourne. Meizis paid for funeral services at McDonald Keohane Funeral Home in Weymouth. Trouble came when the funeral home was struggling to find any family to attend. Meizis has a cousin in the area, but she is disabled, and unable to make it.

Navy veteran Anthony Meizis
CBS BOSTON
The funeral director, Cara Johnson, contacted a veteran group called No Veteran Buried Alone. They perform motorcycle processions for veterans in need of support, and have connections to the American Legion Riders. When the Department of Mass American Legion Riders put out an all call on Facebook, Johnson's phone began to ring over and over.

https://www.cbsnews.com/boston/news/anthony-meizis-motorcyclists-funeral-procession-navy-veteran/
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor

Anthony Meizis was a Lance Corporal in the Navy

Huh?  There is no such thing.  He must have been a Marine. :patriot:
Thomas Jefferson

Offline PeteS in CA

It's CBS Skews.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Huh?  There is no such thing.  He must have been a Marine. :patriot:

@rangerbrew  Same thing I was getting ready to post.

"They" just don't make reporters like  they  used to.

Offline andy58-in-nh

@rangerbrew  Same thing I was getting ready to post.

"They" just don't make reporters like  they  used to.

That's because none of 'em ever served.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Bob Barker, US Navy veteran, dead at 99
« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2023, 07:15:54 pm »
Bob Barker, US Navy veteran, dead at 99
The longtime "The Price Is Right" host served during World War II.

BY NICHOLAS SLAYTON | PUBLISHED AUG 26, 2023 2:10 PM EDT

Bob Barker, the iconic host of “The Price Is Right” for nearly 50 years, died Saturday, Aug. 26 at the age of 99. Alongside his long career in television, Barker was a U.S. military veteran, serving in the U.S. Navy as an aviator during World War II.

Robert William Barker was born on Dec. 12, 1923. Before his service, Barker grew up on the Rosebud Indian Reservation in North Dakota. His father was a quarter Sioux and Barker was listed as and considered himself part Sioux. After the United States entered World War II, Barker enlisted in 1943. He chose to join the U.S. Navy because, by his own admission, he saw a photo of a naval aviator in full dress whites and was impressed by the man’s appearance.

“I thought, ‘If I’m going to go to war, I want to go looking like that guy,’” Barker told CNN in a 2013 interview.

In that same interview, Barker said that he had never even been on a plane before enlisting, nor had he seen the ocean. But he joined the Navy. He earned his aviator wings, but the war ended before he was deployed and Barker did not see combat.

https://taskandpurpose.com/culture/bob-barker-navy-veteran/
Thomas Jefferson

Offline libertybele

Re: Bob Barker, US Navy veteran, dead at 99
« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2023, 07:24:44 pm »
RIP Mr. Barker. 

The recipient of numerous honours, Barker won 14 Emmy Awards for his hosting work, and in 1999 he received a lifetime achievement award. He was inducted into the Academy of Television Arts and Sciences Hall of Fame in 2004. His autobiography, Priceless Memories (cowritten with Digby Diehl), was published in 2009.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Remains of Ohio sailor killed during Pearl Harbor identified
« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2023, 05:45:53 pm »
Remains of Ohio sailor killed during Pearl Harbor identified
By The Associated Press
 Oct 2, 08:00 PM

Defense department authorities say the remains of an Ohio sailor killed during the attack on Pearl Harbor, Hawaii, have been identified.

The Defense POW/MIA Accounting Agency said Monday that Navy Seaman 2nd Class Stanley C. Galaszewski, 29, of Steubenville, Ohio, was one of 104 crewmen on the battleship USS California killed during the Dec. 7, 1941, attack.

The ship, moored at Ford Island, was attacked by Japanese aircraft and sustained multiple torpedo and bomb hits, which caused it to catch fire and slowly flood. Remains of the deceased crew recovered in the ensuing months were interred in the Halawa and Nu’uanu cemeteries.

The remains were later taken to the Central Identification Laboratory at Schofield Barracks, which was only able to confirm the identities of 39 men. Unidentified remains were buried at the National Memorial Cemetery of the Pacific at Punchbowl in Honolulu.

https://www.navytimes.com/veterans/2023/10/03/remains-of-ohio-sailor-killed-during-pearl-harbor-identified/
Thomas Jefferson