Author Topic: Misunderstood rattlesnakes ‘capable of emotions,’ love to cuddle with each other  (Read 689 times)

Offline Kamaji

Misunderstood rattlesnakes ‘capable of emotions,’ love to cuddle with each other, study finds

By Katherine Donlevy
July 7, 2023

It turns out rattlesnakes have a ssss-weet side after all.

The stereotypically aggressive rattlesnake loves to cuddle and finds solace in being wrapped around its own kind, according to a new study released Thursday.

Researchers from Loma Linda University near San Bernardino, California found that the venomous reptiles’ acute stress levels were significantly subdued when in the presence of fellow rattlesnakes.

The wild-caught snakes’ heart rates decreased and they gained a sense of well-being as they wriggled together in a winding group hug, biology doctoral student Chelsea Martin and professor William Hayes wrote.

The findings reveal that social buffering — the reduction of stress an organism experiences when in the presence of a companion — exists within the rattlesnake species and challenges the belief that they are asocial critters.

Source:  https://nypost.com/2023/07/07/rattlesnakes-stress-levels-decrease-when-cuddling-study/

Offline Kamaji

Jake the Rattlesnake might disagree:

Offline SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
They play a critical role in nature and should be respected for that. I have an immense amount of respect for the role snakes play in our world. I have no fear of them and actually, sometimes prefer them over humans.

Now, that being said, when I come across a danger noodle in its environment while mountain biking or backpacking, I leave it be and give it the widest berth. I am in its territory and respect that.

If one were to be found in my yard (very small chance), sorry, meet your maker.
Throwing our allegiances to political parties in the long run gave away our liberty.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
And they're tasty too.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan

I took this photo on a ranch road in South Texas many years ago (there are several more photos in the series) and the snakes did not know I was in the world.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2023, 11:08:52 pm by Bigun »
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Kamaji

I took this photo on a ranch road in South Texas many years ago (there are several more photos in the series) and the snakes did not know I was in the world.

That is very cool!

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
That is very cool!

Thanks! I kind of like it myself.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline deb

• Sinner saved by grace.

Cool photo! And I’m gonna have nightmares tonight.  :laugh:
Brothers, sisters, come on down to that river
Guaranteed you'll never be the same
There's a fountain flowing from the heart of the Savior
Bring your sins and all your guilty stains
Let that river of life wash it all away

River of Life - Mac Powell

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
Cool photo! And I’m gonna have nightmares tonight.  :laugh:

You should see what was under a mud tank we had been walking around for months when we finished at that location! I would post a picture of that as well but it would only add to the trauma you are feeling.  happy77
« Last Edit: July 08, 2023, 11:57:19 pm by Bigun »

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
We moved a 300 bbl tank years ago.  On one side was a den of rattlesnakes and on the other were rabbits.  So odd that they lived this close together, yet there were still rabbits left.  I assume they enjoyed the warmth of the oil in the winter.

:shrug: Nature is stranger than fiction.

- J. R. R. Tolkien