Author Topic: U.S. opens new immigration path for Central Americans and Colombians to discourage border crossings  (Read 345 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
CBS News By Camilo Montoya-Galvez 7/7/2023

U.S. opens new immigration path for Central Americans and Colombians to discourage border crossings

The Biden administration will soon open a new immigration program to allow some Central Americans and Colombians to enter the U.S. legally and discourage would-be migrants from these countries from journeying north to cross the U.S. southern border illegally, officials announced Friday.

The Department of Homeland Security (DHS) initiative, which will formally start on July 10, will allow eligible migrants from Colombia, El Salvador, Guatemala and Honduras to fly to the U.S. and gain government work permits if they have relatives who are U.S. citizens or legal residents and have filed visa applications on their behalf.

As part of a broader plan to address unlawful crossings along the U.S.-Mexico border earlier this year, the Biden administration committed to welcoming up to 100,000 Central American migrants under this program, known as the Family Reunification Parole Process. Officials have not provided a timeframe for fulfilling that pledge or a cap for Colombian applicants.

To qualify for the program, migrants must have U.S. ties. The process starts with U.S. citizens or permanent residents filing immigrant visa requests on behalf of relatives from these four countries. Qualifying family members include adult children and siblings of U.S. citizens and children and spouses of permanent residents.

Once those petitions are approved, the American citizen or resident applicants may receive an invitation to apply for their relatives to come to the U.S. much more quickly than they would have under the backlogged and numerically capped visa system. Some would-be immigrants with U.S. family members often have to wait years — and in some cases, more than a decade — for immigrant visas to become available.

A Homeland Security spokesperson said the State Departments plans to start sending out invitations for the program later in July.

More: https://www.cbsnews.com/news/immigration-colombia-central-america-border-us-relatives-border-crossings/

Offline mountaineer

Joe doesn't care where they're from - Colombia, Africa, Honduras or the Middle East. Just bring 'em in.
This is a video of “refugees” arriving. They’re all wearing very nice clothes and have thousands in cash. These individuals are not your “tired, your poor, Your huddled masses” as we are led to believe. They are established and funded.

https://twitter.com/texan_maga/status/1677160583236317184
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline LMAO

Biden doesn’t care because he’s not long of this world. And the people around him who are pushing this policy don’t care because they think they will rule over these new immigrants

I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy