Author Topic: Plumes of Saharan dust could impact air quality, sunsets over Florida  (Read 953 times)

Offline Kamaji

Plumes of Saharan dust could impact air quality, sunsets over Florida

By Andrew Wulfeck, FOX Weather
July 8, 2023

The first plume of Saharan dust to impact the Southeast during the summer has the potential to influence air quality and make for dramatic sunrise and sunset colors this weekend in the Sunshine State.

The FOX Forecast Center said the plume originated over the African continent and, by the time it arrives in Florida, will have traveled more than 5,000 miles.

Plumes of the Saharan Air Layer are common during the early and mid-summer as winds carry the tiny particles across the Atlantic Ocean.

During active SAL episodes, the tropics are usually quiet as the dry air hinders cyclone development and organization.

NOAA says the air has about 50 percent less moisture than the typical atmosphere, which means the presence of the layer can be detrimental to cloud formation and thunderstorm activity.

Source:  https://nypost.com/2023/07/08/plumes-of-saharan-dust-could-impact-air-quality-sunsets-over-florida/

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
 I watched a YouTube video that showed how a hurricane began its life in east Africa.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Offline Kamaji

It may impact air quality, but if the statements in the article are correct, it could tamp down storm formation, resulting in a lower risk of catastrophic hurricane or tropical storm damage.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
meh...it's merely God showing Biden & Friends how He blocks the sun. 
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Kamaji

:mauslaff:

:laugh:

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
Well let's hope his next example isn't Yellowstone or some other really major volcano, the ones so far are plenty as far as examples.

Offline Kamaji

Well let's hope his next example isn't Yellowstone or some other really major volcano, the ones so far are plenty as far as examples.

:thumbsup:

Online libertybele

We have our gas masks ready.  *****rollingeyes*****
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Re: Plumes of Saharan dust could impact air quality, sunsets over Florida
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2023, 08:38:38 pm »
It may impact air quality, but if the statements in the article are correct, it could tamp down storm formation, resulting in a lower risk of catastrophic hurricane or tropical storm damage.

That has been the case in the past.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2023, 08:44:04 pm »
That has been the case in the past.

So all in all, this is probably a good thing.

Offline Lando Lincoln

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2023, 08:49:06 pm »
Back in a past life, I spent a couple years in the southern Caribbean, much of it in Barbados (yes, it was great). I remember hanging out with some NASA dudes who were studying the air quality there. (Yes, I remember them as being from NASA.) Anyway, the biggest pollutant was Sahara Desert in origin.
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2023, 10:43:15 pm »
So all in all, this is probably a good thing.

Yes.  Unless you are a liberal climatenazi
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2023, 12:22:15 am »