Author Topic: Thousands take part in first running of the bulls in Spain’s San Fermin festival  (Read 350 times)

Offline Kamaji

Thousands take part in first running of the bulls in Spain’s San Fermin festival

By Associated Press
July 7, 2023

PAMPLONA, Spain — Thousands of thrill seekers took part Friday in the first running of the bulls at the San Fermín festival in the northern Spanish city of Pamplona.

Several runners took knocks and hard falls in the 8 a.m. event but no one was gored by the beasts, a frequent feature of the spectacle.

The festival attracts hundreds of thousands of tourists. Nearly 1.7 million people visited Pamplona for the celebrations in 2022, and forecasts are higher for this year with all COVID-19 constraints ended.

In the run, six bulls guided by six tame oxen charged along a route through Pamplona’s streets for around two minutes and 30 seconds before reaching the bull ring.

The festival was made famous by Ernest Hemingway’s 1926 novel “The Sun Also Rises.” This year marks the 100th anniversary of Hemingway’s first visit to the festival.

Friday’s run was the first of eight scheduled. The rest of the day usually includes massive sessions of drinking, eating, and attending cultural events.

Source:  https://nypost.com/2023/07/07/thousands-take-part-in-first-running-of-the-bulls-in-spains-san-fermin-festival/

Offline Kamaji

I have never understood the attraction of this event.

Offline mountaineer

I remember learning a song in 6th grade Spanish about San  Fermín :
Uno de enero, dos de febrero, tres de marzo, quatro de abril, cinco de mayo, seis de junio, siete de julio, ¡San  Fermín!
La la la la la la la, quién ha roto mi pandereta ...

Well, trust me, it's a catchy tune.  :laugh:
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline DefiantMassRINO

////00000////

$$$ Billion Dollar Idea $$$ - The Washington DC Running of the Bull$h!t
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Offline mountaineer

The Washington DC Running of the Bull$h!t
It will look like Boston's great molasses flood of 1919 - the streets running with brown goo.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline DefiantMassRINO

////00000////

Yes, flood DC streets with bovine excrement and have a festival to celebrate what Washington DC produces most for the American people, bull$h!t.

It will look like Boston's great molasses flood of 1919 - the streets running with brown goo.
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Offline Kamaji

Or like San Francisco's streets currently.