Author Topic: Employment growth hits slowest pace for US since December 2020  (Read 324 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Employment growth hits slowest pace for US since December 2020
by Zachary Halaschak, Economics Reporter |
July 07, 2023 08:32 AM

The economy added 209,000 jobs in June, the Bureau of Labor Statistics reported Friday, reflecting a slowdown in the labor market as the Federal Reserve tightens its monetary policy.

The unemployment rate fell slightly to 3.6%, still a very low figure historically.

Friday’s report is being closely scrutinized as it comes against the backdrop of several major economic stories — such as the Fed’s tightening, uncertainty in the housing market, fears of a recession, and lingering concerns about the banking system following the collapse of Silicon Valley Bank.

A weaker jobs report indicates that the Fed’s rate hikes are beginning to work and could add some credence to those who think the Fed’s interest rate target has gone as high as it should go.

The Fed paused its rate hikes following its June meeting — the first time it voted not to raise rates since it first started tightening back in March of last year. But Fed projections and remarks from Fed officials have made it clear that at least one more hike is likely, although it is yet to be seen how the central bank will react to the latest employment report.

The reading follows months of strong job gains, which is one part of the economy that President Joe Biden has touted even as inflation keeps eating into the paychecks of families across the country.

Despite the Fed’s efforts to slow commerce to bring down inflation, the unemployment rate has only ranged from 3.4% to 3.7% since March 2022, near the lowest rates of the past half-century.

more
m 3.4% to 3.7% since March 2022, near the lowest rates of the past half-century.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline mountaineer

Re: Employment growth hits slowest pace for US since December 2020
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2023, 03:42:42 pm »
Tommy Pigott
@TommyPigott
Today’s jobs report showed the economy slowing after years of the middle class being hammered by inflation. The cumulative real wealth of the middle class has fallen by over $2 trillion in the last year, an average loss of $33,000 per household. This is "Bidenomics."

RNC Research
@RNCResearch
Job Creators Network President Alfredo Ortiz: Small business owners “have basically put a pause on hiring…they don’t want to hire and they don’t want to increase wages.”
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2023, 04:03:48 pm »
Tommy Pigott
@TommyPigott
Today’s jobs report showed the economy slowing after years of the middle class being hammered by inflation. The cumulative real wealth of the middle class has fallen by over $2 trillion in the last year, an average loss of $33,000 per household. This is "Bidenomics."

RNC Research
@RNCResearch
Job Creators Network President Alfredo Ortiz: Small business owners “have basically put a pause on hiring…they don’t want to hire and they don’t want to increase wages.”

100% correct. I am barely surviving as the sole breadwinner for my family, and I thought I made a lot.

Meanwhile stores around here are closing due to not being able to find labor.

The problem is inflation.

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2023, 04:34:53 pm »
I bet they find an accounting error and raise the job number significantly.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2023, 05:15:14 pm »
I bet they find an accounting error and raise the job number significantly.

Figures don't lie but liars sure can figure!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien