Author Topic: Pennsylvania's Democrat governor caves on school choice program he staunchly backed to appease his o  (Read 2092 times)

Offline mountaineer

Pennsylvania's Democrat governor caves on school choice program he staunchly backed to appease his own party
Story by Brandon Gillespie • July 5, 2023
FOX News via MSN

Democratic Pennsylvania Gov. Josh Shapiro made an unexpected move Wednesday when he gave into partisan squabbling in the state legislature over funding for school choice in order to appease members of his own party preventing the passage of a state budget.

"Last Friday, the Senate passed a responsible budget that delivers critical funding to our shared priorities and sent it to the House for its consideration. Now, we stand at an impasse largely over one provision of this budget, PASS Scholarships, a proposal I support that has been passed by the Senate but one that Leader [Matthew] Bradford has made clear does not have the support of the House," Shapiro said in a statement.

"I will line-item veto the full $100 million appropriation and it will not be part of this budget bill," Shapiro added, referencing the Program for Advancing Scholarship and Service funding, or PASS Scholarships, included in the budget passed by the Republican-controlled state Senate on Friday.

A supporter of the funding and increasing school choice for Pennsylvanians, Shapiro had struck a deal with Republicans on what would be the state's first-ever "voucher" program for private and religious schools, and insisted on including $100 million for it in the budget.

His move surprised state lawmakers and caused tensions within the Democratic Party that led to Democrats in the state House demanding $750 million more in aid for public schools that state Senate Republicans had not agreed to. State House Democrats voted down separate legislation to create the voucher program last week.  ...

Corey A. DeAngelis, school choice evangelist
@DeAngelisCorey
Pennsylvania Governor Josh Shapiro promises to veto his own campaign promise: "I will line-item veto the full $100 million [school choice] appropriation."
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Kamaji

Gotta keep the blacks down on the liberal plantation.

Offline PeteS in CA

Correcting Fox News' article headline:

Pennsylvania's Democrat governor caves on school choice program he staunchly backed to appease his teachers union masters
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline DefiantMassRINO

Dems' fealty to teachers unions and their opposition to school choice can be used against them, especially in disadvantged communities, to gain ground in their traditionally "safe" urban districts.
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Offline Timber Rattler

• Conservative Purist and Patriot
No surprise there...Shapiro getting his cake and eating it too.
aka "nasty degenerate SOB," "worst of the worst at Free Republic," "Garbage Troll," "Neocon Warmonger," "Filthy Piece of Trash," "damn $#%$#@!," "Silly f'er," "POS," "war pig," "neocon scumbag," "insignificant little ankle nipper," "@ss-clown," "neocuck," "termite," "Uniparty Deep stater," "Never Trump sack of dog feces," "avid Bidenista," "filthy Ukrainian," "war whore," "fricking chump," psychopathic POS, and depraved SOB.

"In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act."  ---George Orwell

"If you want peace, prepare for war." ---Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Offline mountaineer

There was a glimmer of hope he'd be better than his predecessor. I guess it still remains to be seen.

Offline Timber Rattler

• Conservative Purist and Patriot
There was a glimmer of hope he'd be better than his predecessor. I guess it still remains to be seen.

Shapiro is smarter and more low key that Wolf, and somewhat less liberal.  Wolf was an out and out commie.  Shapiro is left of center, a typical urban liberal.  He's a slimier target for the Republicans to hit in Harrisburg.
aka "nasty degenerate SOB," "worst of the worst at Free Republic," "Garbage Troll," "Neocon Warmonger," "Filthy Piece of Trash," "damn $#%$#@!," "Silly f'er," "POS," "war pig," "neocon scumbag," "insignificant little ankle nipper," "@ss-clown," "neocuck," "termite," "Uniparty Deep stater," "Never Trump sack of dog feces," "avid Bidenista," "filthy Ukrainian," "war whore," "fricking chump," psychopathic POS, and depraved SOB.

"In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act."  ---George Orwell

"If you want peace, prepare for war." ---Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Offline mountaineer

Meg Brock
@MegEBrock
These two images sum up the current state of Pennsylvania politics and it’s not pretty.

6:27 PM · Jul 20, 2023

Offline DefiantMassRINO

Dem's doubling-down on the injustice and inequity of the Zip Code Lottery that dooms many disadvantaged communities to substandard education opportunities.
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Should be a reminder for all of Pennsylvania's voters: