Author Topic: Titanic submersible spun out of control on prior dive with panicked passengers stuck onboard  (Read 333 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
 Titanic submersible spun out of control on prior dive with panicked passengers stuck onboard
By Isabel Keane   
July 5, 2023 5:58pm

A former pilot of the ill-fated Titan submersible lost control of the vessel during a previous dive — causing the sub to start spinning in circles as terrified passengers were stuck on board for hours.

Footage taken inside the submersible shows the vehicle spinning out of control, leading pilot Scott Griffith to say, “We have a problem,” as the five-person crew dove 12,500 feet below sea level.

The crew was 300 meters from the Titanic’s ruins when the Titan’s thrusters began to malfunction, the clip from the 2022 BBC documentary revealed.

“There’s something wrong with my thrusters. I’m thrusting and nothing is happening,” Griffith can be heard saying, according to the Mirror.

The BBC’s documentary is not available for viewing within the US.

One of the Titan’s thrusters had allegedly been mounted improperly, causing one to propel the sub in one direction while the other pushed it in the opposite direction and ultimately making the Titan spin in circles.

The documentary revealed terrified crew members had to wait for hours while OceanGate’s CEO Stockton Rush worked to fix the issue from the mother ship.

“You know what I was thinking, we’re not going to make it,” passenger Reneta Rojas told the BBC. “We’re literally 300m (600 feet) from the Titanic, and although we are already in the debris field, we can’t go anywhere but go in circles.”

Footage showed an anxious Rojas putting her head in her hands as the crew worked to reprogram the video game control that managed the vessel’s movement.

more
https://nypost.com/2023/07/05/titanic-submersible-lost-control-starting-spinning-in-prior-dive/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34