Author Topic: Ageism in NYC is a serious issue with 29% of young New Yorkers feeling seniors shouldn’t work  (Read 249 times)

Offline Kamaji

Ageism in NYC is a serious issue with 29% of young New Yorkers feeling seniors shouldn’t work: poll

By Carl Campanile
July 4, 2023

Respect your elders!

Age discrimination is a serious issue that must be confronted in the Big Apple — especially as the number of residents ages 65 and up is expected to continue climbing, according to a new report.

“Older adults and people of color have experienced disproportionate illness and death during the COVID-19 pandemic,” the city Health Department said in an analysis on ageism.

“The pandemic has also exposed and perpetuated ageism. For example, some public discourse portrayed older adults as less valuable than younger people when it came to allocation of resources for care,” according to the brief, entitled “How Ageist Are We, New York City?”

Of New York City’s 8.65 million citizens, 1.73 million or 20% are seniors 60 years of age and over, according to the Department for the Aging.

Source:  https://nypost.com/2023/07/04/ageism-in-nyc-is-a-serious-issue-with-29-of-young-new-yorkers-feeling-seniors-shouldnt-work-poll/

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
Wonder how they feel about all the tourists that ate 55 or older putting their hard earned money into local restaurants, hotels, museums, shops, Broadway etc.
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Online andy58-in-nh

Wonder how they feel about all the tourists that ate 55 or older putting their hard earned money into local restaurants, hotels, museums, shops, Broadway etc.

My entire remaining family members (all aged 50+) in the NY/NJ metro area are in the process of moving to Florida. They've all had it with the taxes and poor quality of life - even for relatively wealthy people. 

Which is fine with me, because I won't have to travel there any more. Florida will be a welcome destination.   
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline DefiantMassRINO

There isn't an ageism crisis in the Northeast.  There's a cost-of-living crisis, mostly caused by bad government policies.

Groups without substanstial wealth, without substanstial income, or living on fixed incomes are being effected first - disabled, elderly, families with children, non-professionals without graduate educations.

If you are not a two-income couple, both with advanced or graduate degrees, you cannot afford to move to the Northeast.  Even those folks are one pink-slip away from financial ruin, especially if they have kids or aging parents.
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.