Author Topic: Litman: Trump Is ‘Toast Legally,’ His Only Escape Is a GOP President  (Read 1744 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Litman: Trump Is ‘Toast Legally,’ His Only Escape Is a GOP President

Pam Key 3 Jul 2023

Former U.S. Attorney Harry Litman said Monday on MSNBC’s “The Beat” that former President Donald Trump is “toast legally.”

When asked about a senior campaign official for Trump, Susie Wiles, who met with DOJ investigators multiple times, Litman said, “Well, it’s pretty obvious she has some testimony to give. But what it really underscores for the legal, political link is the people who are really close to him, including Evan Corcoran, who is still involved, Giuliani is on the outs now because he wasn’t paid, but we’re talking about all the self-inflicted wounds by Trump, and now the people are running in. It was really telling to me last week, that after the deputy on elections committee that had been in charge of the false electors testified, that’s when his boss and then Rudy Giuliani came in and said, ‘Is it too late. Can we maybe give information too?’ So even as they’re the last vestige of loyalists to Trump, they’re also becoming some of the last witnesses for Smith. That’s quite a, you know, double roll.”

He added, “Just generally on the political-legal count. it seems to me and has seen for a while, he is toast legally. But he’s got this one strange escape route. If we or a Republican can win the election, and he can make DOJ stand down. That’s his only legal strategy. It’s a stra,nge one. But there is no other I think, escape route for him under the conventional legal process.”

https://www.breitbart.com/clips/2023/07/03/litman-trump-is-toast-legally-his-only-escape-is-a-gop-president/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline corbe

President DeSantis will recommend his Pardon on the grounds 'that he has suffered enough' BUT his AG Cruz will NIX the idea.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline LMAO

IF Trump is ultimately convicted and is forced to drop out, I don’t think a presidential pardon will go over well with the public. Ford got into hot water when he pardoned Nixon.
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
I personally think almost any other Republican who is elected would pardon Trump.  It would have to someone like Liz Cheney not to do that

The people it would alienate would be the far leftist.  I think just about anyone else would appreciate just getting Trump off the front pages permanently.

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
I personally think almost any other Republican who is elected would pardon Trump.  It would have to someone like Liz Cheney not to do that

The people it would alienate would be the far leftist.  I think just about anyone else would appreciate just getting Trump off the front pages permanently.
With all due respect, that's just crazy talk, while I do believe that Trump did some good things and he has been persecuted by the left the one constant with Trump is attention whore gotta attention whore.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

With all due respect, that's just crazy talk, while I do believe that Trump did some good things and he has been persecuted by the left the one constant with Trump is attention whore gotta attention whore.

I'm sure he'd love to, but if he lost the nomination to another Republican in 2024 who went on to win the election and then pardoned Trump, it's going to be hard for Trump to get a lot of attention.  He'd be more or less irrelevant at that point to most folks.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Anyone else remember when "conservatives" were steadfastly against Fascist lawfare ---- instead of plotting ways and fabricating excuses to use it to help them beat a political rival the only way they can?   :smokin:

Offline LMAO

Anyone else remember when "conservatives" were steadfastly against Fascist lawfare ----

Still are.

And Trump is absolutely afforded the assumption of innocence. This pardon talk may be a little bit premature because Trump hasn’t even been convicted yet

But the prosecution has to prove their case. We will see if they can.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2023, 10:57:35 am by LMAO »
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
Anyone here confident he will get a fair trial?

Offline LMAO

Anyone here confident he will get a fair trial?

Not without top of the line legal representation. And he needs to keep his mouth shut and follow their instructions to the letter.

Barry Goldwater

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Not without top of the line legal representation. And he needs to keep his mouth shut and follow their instructions to the letter.

Well, he's toast then Jim!
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Polly Ticks

Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Anyone else remember when "conservatives" were steadfastly against Fascist lawfare ---- instead of plotting ways and fabricating excuses to use it to help them beat a political rival the only way they can?   :smokin:

Still are.

And Trump is absolutely afforded the assumption of innocence. This pardon talk may be a little bit premature because Trump hasn’t even been convicted yet. But the prosecution has to prove their case. We will see if they can.

Why are you applying standard protocols of American jurisprudence to what "conservatives" once stood as a firewall against?  Do you or do you not remember when Fascist lawfare at the hand of the Federal government was considered illegal ---- regardless of the target?

Why are you accepting charges against an American citizen by the full power of the US government manufactured solely to remove a political opponent?

Are you intentionally missing the point @Polly Ticks or can I help you understand it?

Offline DefiantMassRINO

Let's see what the juries have to say.

Trump Derangement Syndrome has led to many manic-depressive mood swings for Dems since 2016.
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Let's see what the juries have to say.

Trump Derangement Syndrome has led to many manic-depressive mood swings for Dems since 2016.

:facepalm2:

Offline Polly Ticks

Are you intentionally missing the point @Polly Ticks or can I help you understand it?

@Right_in_Virginia
Thanks dearie, but I understand just fine.  It's almost as if two things can be true at one time. 
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline LMAO

Why are you applying standard protocols of American jurisprudence to what "conservatives" once stood as a firewall against?  Do you or do you not remember when Fascist lawfare at the hand of the Federal government was considered illegal ---- regardless of the target?

Why are you accepting charges against an American citizen by the full power of the US government manufactured solely to remove a political opponent?

Typical strawman.

I don’t accept or support charges just to remove a political opponent.

I understand that your emotional bond to Donald Trump clouds your judgment. Therefore, your arguments are becoming highly erratic and irrational.

I’ve heard the same arguments when Bill Clinton was president from his supporters. And Donald Trump is entitled to the same assumption of innocence as everybody else. It is up to the prosecution to make their case why the charges were justified

Just because Trump tells you he’s a victim and is innocent, however, doesn’t make it so. Donald Trump lacks credibility but, unfortunately, so do the  agencies that are charging him time will tell who is right in this.

My position is that anyone bringing a charge against a defendant has to make their case convincingly that the charge was justified. I don’t care who it is or whether or not I support that person politically, because none of that should matter.

What will you do if these charges end up having merit?  My question is rhetorical, of course.

« Last Edit: July 06, 2023, 03:00:14 pm by LMAO »

Barry Goldwater

Offline Kamaji

Typical strawman.

I don’t accept or support charges just to remove a political opponent.

I understand that your emotional bond to Donald Trump clouds your judgment. Therefore, your arguments are becoming highly erratic and irrational.

I’ve heard the same arguments when Bill Clinton was president from his supporters. And Donald Trump is entitled to the same assumption of innocence as everybody else. It is up to the prosecution to make their case why the charges were justified

Just because Trump tells you he’s a victim and is innocent, however, doesn’t make it so. Donald Trump lacks credibility but, unfortunately, so do the  agencies that are charging him time will tell who is right in this.

My position is at anyone bringing a charge against the defendant hast to make their case convincingly that the charge was justified. I don’t care who it is or whether or not, I support that person politically, because none of that should matter.

What will you do if these charges end up having merit?  My question is rhetorical, of course.

:thumbsup:

@Right_in_Virginia
Thanks dearie, but I understand just fine. 

We'll have to agree to disagree on this @Polly Ticks   

Thank you for your reply.

Offline LMAO

I have heard the saying that you can indict a ham sandwich.

But it’s making an indictment stick to the ham sandwich is where the burden is on the prosecution

The framers understood that the state can be overzealous in charging people with a crime. That’s why there’s many protections for defendants in our constitution.

Those protections for the accused in our constitution is the firewall
« Last Edit: July 06, 2023, 03:10:37 pm by LMAO »

Barry Goldwater

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

I have no idea what that even means....  He was charged - that's a legal reality even if it is politically motivated.  Not "accepting" that he has been charged is a a disconnect from reality.  As @LMAO has pointed out, the charges now have to be proven.

That doesn't mean I agree with the charging in the first place.  Even if he did commit the offenses alleged, the damage to the republic from charging an ex-President who is currently running for office for what is truly a victimless crime doesn't warrant prosecution.  But it would be better if they can't even prove the case at all.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2023, 03:15:47 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline LMAO

I have no idea what that even means....  He was charged - that's a legal reality even if it is politically motivated.  Not "accepting" that he has been charged is a a disconnect from reality.  As @LMAO has pointed out, the charges now have to be proven.

That doesn't mean I agree with the charging in the first place, although I'd like to see more of the evidence before assuming all of them are completely unjustified.

My official position, as of now, is Donald Trump is innocent. But I am open minded enough to change my mind if I see convincing evidence. Whether one supports the candidate or not, should have no bearing on that position. People let their emotions cloud their judgement .

The idea that Donald Trump is toast right now might be premature
« Last Edit: July 06, 2023, 03:18:00 pm by LMAO »

Barry Goldwater

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
How many times in his career, both as a property developer and as a politician, has Donald Trump been "down for the count." Too many times for me to count.

And yet the MSM continues to chase him down like Elmer Fudd going after Bugs Bunny. "We got you this time you waskelly wabbit."
Why do they do it? Simple. Talking about Trump getting harmed gets the eyeballs of their audience like nothing else.

The man is magical in the way he escapes from things. But the problem is, just getting near him is toxic. You will get stung if you are his friend, and you will get stung if you are his enemy. Rule #1 with Trump is "I survive at all costs."  The sensible thing is to stay out of his orbit, but he is such a force that it is impossible to avoid his orbit if you are in real estate, golf, politics or media.