Author Topic: MSNBC anchor Joy Reid admits affirmative action got her into Harvard  (Read 436 times)

Offline Kamaji

MSNBC anchor Joy Reid admits affirmative action got her into Harvard

By Lindsay Kornick, Fox News   
July 3, 2023

Affirmative action was the only reason MSNBC’s Joy Reid attended Harvard, the anchor insisted on Thursday.

Reid made the point while appearing on “All In with Chris Hayes” to comment on the US Supreme Court ruling that affirmative action in college admissions violated the 14th Amendment’s equal protection clause. While opposing the decision, Reid admitted that she benefited from affirmative action herself.

“I got into Harvard only because of affirmative action,” Reid said. “I went to a school no one had ever heard of in Denver, Colorado, in a small suburb. I didn’t go to Exeter or Andover. I didn’t have college test prep. I just happened to be really nerdy and smart and have really good grades and good SAT scores.”

She continued, “But someone came to Denver to look for me. A Harvard recruiter flew to Denver, and I met me up with her at the Village Inn Restaurant and did a pre-interview to pull me into Harvard. I was pulled in — affirmatively.”

The Supreme Court case arose after the accusation that Asian Americans students were being discriminated by being held to a higher standard compared to black or Hispanic students because of affirmative action. Several liberal personalities, however, have insisted that the decision will primarily benefit white students.

Source:  https://nypost.com/2023/07/03/msnbc-anchor-joy-reid-admits-affirmative-action-got-her-into-harvard/

Offline Kamaji

Re: MSNBC anchor Joy Reid admits affirmative action got her into Harvard
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2023, 04:53:42 pm »
In other words, racism denied a place at Harvard to someone who was more deserving of it based on merit alone.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2023, 04:59:40 pm »
In other words, racism denied a place at Harvard to someone who was more deserving of it based on merit alone.

Walter Williams and Thomas Sowell have discussed another aspect of this several times.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_97mk6nMrwQ

"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline PeteS in CA

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2023, 05:00:53 pm »
Her major for her BA was "Film Studies". :silly: At least it wasn't Underwater Basket Weaving (though she might have learned something less stupid from that, :silly: ). Apparently she didn't have a student loan.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2023, 08:17:01 pm »
It comes as a complete surprise to no one that she couldn't hack it on her own merit.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2023, 08:31:55 pm »
It comes as a complete surprise to no one that she couldn't hack it on her own merit.

Exactly