Author Topic: OceanGate CEO used college interns to design sub’s electrical system  (Read 452 times)

Offline Kamaji

OceanGate CEO used college interns to design sub’s electrical system: report

By Yaron Steinbuch   
July 3, 2023

OceanGate founder and CEO Stockton Rush College hired college interns to design the electrical systems for the ill-fated Titan submersible that killed him and four other people, according to an explosive new report.

Rush, who allegedly ignored safety warnings while charging wealthy tourists $250,000 for dives to the Titanic shipwreck, hired students from Washington State University to work on the critical systems, The New Yorker reported.

“The whole electrical system — that was our design, we implemented it, and it works,” a former intern told the college paper in February 2018, according to the mag.

“We are on the precipice of making history and all of our systems are going down to the Titanic. It is an awesome feeling!” he added.

Meanwhile, OceanGate’s former director of marine operations and chief pilot has said the Titan was a “lemon” and not safe to dive in 2018, The New Yorker also reported in its wide-ranging piece.

Source:  https://nypost.com/2023/07/03/oceangate-ceo-used-college-interns-to-work-on-sub-report/

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
OceanGate CEO used college interns to design sub’s electrical system: report

By Yaron Steinbuch   
July 3, 2023

“The whole electrical system — that was our design, we implemented it, and it works,” a former intern told the college paper in February 2018, according to the mag.

“We are on the precipice of making history and all of our systems are going down to the Titanic. It is an awesome feeling!” he added.

True enough. They're just not coming back up.

Offline Hoodat

Rush  .  .  .   hired students from Washington State University to work on the critical systems, The New Yorker reported.

Wazzu?  Seriously?  LMAO!!!
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline andy58-in-nh

I'm guessing that the electrical system may not have been the culprit in the sub's destruction.

Material failure of the hull components due to repeated stress and de-stressing would seem more likely.   
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Sounds like the interns designed the one thing that did not fail.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
I'm guessing that the electrical system may not have been the culprit in the sub's destruction.

Material failure of the hull components due to repeated stress and de-stressing would seem more likely.
Yep. That's where my money is, too.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis