Author Topic: 10 States to Sue EPA Over Wood-Burning Stove Standards  (Read 640 times)

Online mountaineer

10 States to Sue EPA Over Wood-Burning Stove Standards
« on: July 03, 2023, 01:45:02 pm »
10 States to Sue EPA Over Wood-Burning Stove Standards
Sunday, 02 July 2023 06:19 PM EDT
Associated Press via Newsmax

Attorneys general from 10 states plan to sue the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, saying its failure to review and ensure emissions standards for residential wood-burning stoves has allowed the continued sale of appliances that could worsen pollution.

That means programs that encourage people to trade in older stoves and other wood-burning appliances, such as forced-air furnaces, haven't necessarily improved air quality, the states say.

"If newer wood heaters do not meet cleaner standards, then programs to change out old wood heaters may provide little health benefits at significant public cost," the states wrote Thursday in a 60-day notice of intent to sue.

The states involved are Alaska, Illinois, Maryland, Massachusetts, Minnesota, New Jersey, New York, Oregon, Vermont, and Washington, as well as the Puget Sound Clean Air Agency.

They allege that the EPA's current standards aren't good enough and that even if they were, the agency's testing and certification program is so ineffective that it has failed to ensure those standards. ...
These are blue states that want even more control from the feds over stoves. Perhaps some red states will intervene and decry this for the overreach it is.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline roamer_1

Re: 10 States to Sue EPA Over Wood-Burning Stove Standards
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2023, 07:34:29 pm »
No nevermind to me... I can build a wood stove with my eyes closed.

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2023, 07:36:19 pm »
And of course, what will happen is that the Biden EPA will "settle" with the plaintiffs for a court-approved settlement that includes mandatory regulatory restrictions on wood burning stoves.

This is just an end-run around the notice-and-comment requirements of the APA.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2023, 07:45:25 pm »
Just speculation here, but perhaps the plaintiffs in this suit would like the EPA to go door-to-door and rip out all those old wood-burning stoves. Because authoritarian governments are good, goshdarnit.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2023, 09:56:35 pm »
From the article:
"The states involved are Alaska, Illinois, Maryland, Massachusetts, Minnesota, New Jersey, New York, Oregon, Vermont, and Washington"

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2023, 10:13:54 pm »
From the article:
"The states involved are Alaska, Illinois, Maryland, Massachusetts, Minnesota, New Jersey, New York, Oregon, Vermont, and Washington"

There couldn't possibly be any reason to believe that lawsuits like this MIGHT be motived by folks who don't like the fact that they can't charge people who choose to use what nature provides for heating and cooking needs can there? /S
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien