Author Topic: Is the West's water crisis spreading? Drought blankets Midwest, America's Breadbasket  (Read 802 times)

Offline libertybele

Is the West's water crisis spreading? Drought blankets Midwest, America's Breadbasket

DENVER — Heavy winter snows have temporarily eased the well-documented water crisis in western states including Colorado and California, but now Midwestern farmers in America's Breadbasket are worrying more about their crops as drought worsens across Kansas, Nebraska, Missouri and Ohio.

While Midwestern dry spells aren't unusual, the current lack of rain is compounding existing problems with dry soils and streams, experts say, potentially raising the cost of cattle feed and ultimately the price Americans pay for beef.

"These are fairly serious drought conditions we're seeing right now," said Dennis Todey, the director of the USDA Midwest Climate Hub in Ames in Iowa. "It's not a major national issue yet, but it can become a larger issue if things don't turn around soon."

Many states are reporting drought conditions, ranging from "abnormally dry" to "exceptional drought." Those states include Nebraska, Kansas, Missouri, Iowa and further east to Indiana and Ohio. Missouri Gov. Michael Parson has issued an executive order to help his state manage the dry conditions.

"The Midwest and east-central Great Plains saw mostly worsening conditions and widespread crop stress and low streamflows after another week of mostly dry weather," the federal government's U.S. Drought Monitor warned Thursday. "Heavy rains in parts of Ohio and Kentucky led to some improvements in ongoing short-term drought. Otherwise, much of the region saw conditions stay the same or worsen this week..."

Drought at this time of year can be troublesome because it can stunt the growth of corn and grass, which are used primarily as food for cattle. Few Midwestern farmers irrigate their crops, and so they depend heavily on spring and early summer rains to provide water at this critical time...................

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2023/07/02/midwest-drought-impact-on-food-prices-farmers/70357197007/

Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline PeteS in CA

... the well-documented water crisis in ... California ...

Maybe if this USA Today writer had lived in California for 60 or 70 years (s)he would know that California's dry years and wet years cycling has been going on for decades, and probably centuries or millennia. So his/her ignorant premise ruins his/her (probably) Warmista chicken-littling.

I'm going to go way out on a limb, having never lived in the Plains or Midwest states, and guess that those areas also have dry-wet cycles.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2023, 09:14:24 pm by PeteS in CA »
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.

I'm going to go way out on a limb, having never lived in the Plains or Midwest states, and guess that those areas also have dry-wet cycles.

Since the beginning of modern time and recorded records.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline DB

They were expecting an unusually quiet solar cycle but so far it is much stronger than expected.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
The drought is over here in the Florida of Iowa. We've had around 6" in the last few days.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
The drought is over here in the Florida of Iowa. We've had around 6" in the last few days.

How is that going to work timing wise for the corn? @Free Vulcan
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
How is that going to work timing wise for the corn? @Free Vulcan

It should be good, it'll be tasseling within the next couple of weeks, all that moisture should be enough to carry it thru for some good yields barring it doesn't get too hot for too long.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
It should be good, it'll be tasseling within the next couple of weeks, all that moisture should be enough to carry it thru for some good yields barring it doesn't get too hot for too long.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Thanks! Some of our Texas corn is too far gone now for the rain we supposedly have coming later this week to do much good.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien