Author Topic: Prosecutors are prepared to hit Trump and his allies with new charges, sources say  (Read 1672 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Prosecutors are prepared to hit Trump and his allies with new charges, sources say
Andrew Feinberg

The Department of Justice is prepared to seek indictments against multiple figures in former president Donald Trump’s orbit and may yet bring additional charges against the ex-president in the coming weeks, The Independent has learned.

According to sources familiar with the matter, the department has made preparations to bring what is known as a “superseding indictment” — a second set of charges against an already-indicted defendant that could include more serious crimes — against the ex-president in the Southern District of Florida.

But prosecutors may also choose to bring additional charges against Mr Trump in a different venue, depending on how they feel the case they have brought against him in is proceeding.

The Independent understands that prosecutors’ decision on whether to seek additional charges from a grand jury — and where to seek them — will depend in part on whether they feel the Trump-appointed district judge overseeing the case against him in the Southern District of Florida, Aileen Cannon, is giving undue deference to the twice-impeached, now twice-indicted former president.

The team of federal prosecutors working under Special Counsel Jack Smith is currently prepared to add an “additional 30 to 45 charges” in addition to the 37-count indictment brought against Mr Trump on 8 June, either in a superseding indictment in the same Florida court or in a different federal judicial district. In either case, they would do so using evidence against the ex-president that has not yet been publicly acknowledged by the department, including other recordings prosecutors have obtained which reveal Mr Trump making incriminating statements.

more
https://news.yahoo.com/prosecutors-prepared-hit-trump-allies-194642421.html
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline libertybele

Bring charges against Trump in a different venue?  What the heck is that supposed to mean???

It's never going to end.  **nononono*
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Of course! The death by a thousand cuts strategy! And the government has much more money with which to play that game than even Donald Trump! They don't have to actually win a single case to inflict major damage.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
It's open judge-shopping by the DOJ.  Nice.

Offline cato potatoe

Bring charges against Trump in a different venue?  What the heck is that supposed to mean???

From what I understand, since Donald shipped the classified documents to New Jersey, and the infamous recording happened there, the proper venue for related charges may be in that state.  His attorneys may request the charges be consolidated (not sure of the proper legal term) into Fort Pierce.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

From what I understand, since Donald shipped the classified documents to New Jersey, and the infamous recording happened there, the proper venue for related charges may be in that state.  His attorneys may request the charges be consolidated (not sure of the proper legal term) into Fort Pierce.

They knew all of that before they filed in Florida.  It's judge-shopping.

Offline DefiantMassRINO

Spreading the prosecutions across multiple jurisdictions diversifies prosecutorial risk.  That way, one whacky judge or one hung jury can't derail the entire effort.
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Offline Hoodat

From what I understand, since Donald shipped the classified documents to New Jersey, and the infamous [audio] recording happened there, the proper venue for related charges may be in that state.

Good luck with that since no one is able to produce those documents.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
They're really determined to get him reelected aren't they?

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

They're really determined to get him reelected aren't they?

You mean "re-nominated".

Offline Kamaji

You mean "re-nominated".

Of course they are, because they are pretty sure he'll lose the general election.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
Of course they are, because they are pretty sure he'll lose the general election.

IMO this sort of never ending lawfare will actually help him in that regard. Of course, Biden has already won once, he can certainly do it again.

Offline Kamaji

IMO this sort of never ending lawfare will actually help him in that regard. Of course, Biden has already won once, he can certainly do it again.

Not sure how much it's going to help him with independents and people who don't eat, sleep, and breathe politics.

Offline kevindavis007

Not sure how much it's going to help him with independents and people who don't eat, sleep, and breathe politics.

I'm not sure how Trump is going to win without the GOP voters who will not vote for him let alone the independents and the people who don't eat, sleep, and breathe politics,
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Offline Kamaji

I'm not sure how Trump is going to win without the GOP voters who will not vote for him let alone the independents and the people who don't eat, sleep, and breathe politics,

Fair enough.  Agreed.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
The goal is something akin to the Todd Akin approach:

Let Trump coast to the nomination, then after the deadlines pass—and only then—disqualify him from the office. That way it's too late to replace him on the ballot, and you end up throwing the election into chaos.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Hoodat

Let Trump coast to the nomination, then after the deadlines pass—and only then—disqualify him from the office. That way it's too late to replace him on the ballot, and you end up throwing the election into chaos.

It became obvious when CNN began running stories attacking DeSantis while defending Trump.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline DefiantMassRINO

Eventually the DOJ will build a wider ranging series of conspiracy cases, and possibly RICO.

////00000////

I hope Trump's attoneys are demanding payment, up front, in cash.
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

I'd bet a whole lot of money that any attempts to disqualify him from running for office will fail.