Author Topic: Judge declines to dismiss Lake’s bid for access to ballot affidavit envelopes  (Read 684 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Arizona Capitol Times by Kiera Riley June 26, 2023

A Maricopa County superior court judge declined to dismiss Kari Lake’s public records bid for access to ballot affidavit envelopes today.

Maricopa County argued the ballot affidavit signatures are part of the voter registration record and are therefore rendered confidential by state law, aside from a few choice exceptions which county attorneys claimed Lake failed to meet.

Judge John Hannah rebuffed the argument as the incorporation of ballot affidavit envelopes into the voter registration records is not mandated nor defined by law, but common practice among county recorders.

Hannah ruled from the bench and said the court is “not required to defer to the elections officials in how they have historically interpreted” the law. He noted he had “no quarrel” with interpretation but said he did not agree with it.

“I am not convinced that the ballot affidavit is a voter registration record,” Hannah said. “It is a record from which the election officials derive information that becomes part of the voter registration record, but that doesn’t mean the ballot affidavit itself is a voter registration record.”

Hannah then tasked the parties with litigating under public records law instead, meaning the county must argue releasing the records would violate privacy interests or run counter to the best interest of the state.

At oral arguments today, Joseph LaRue, senior election attorney for Maricopa County Attorney’s Office, previewed arguments from the county against disclosing the records.

The county concedes that the ballot affidavit envelopes are public records, but they claim they have “several” vested interests in keeping the records confidential.

More: https://azcapitoltimes.com/news/2023/06/26/judge-declines-to-dismiss-lakes-bid-for-access-to-ballot-affidavit-envelopes/

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Public records the public can't see?

WTF?
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline HikerGuy83

• Still Trying
Public records the public can't see?

WTF?

I second that motion.