Author Topic: Clarence Thomas Reading His Epic Takedown Of KBJ’s Affirmative Action Dissent Left Her “Visibly Angr  (Read 1438 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Legal Insurrection by William A. Jacobson 6/29/2023

“JUSTICE JACKSON’s race-infused world view falls flat at each step…. A contrary, myopic world view based on individuals’ skin color to the total exclusion of their personal choices is nothing short of racial determinism …. Worse, the classifications that JUSTICE JACKSON draws are themselves race-based stereotypes…. “

Did I say Epic. I meant EPIC!!!

Unlike Justice Ketanji Brown Jackson (KBJ), whose dissent read like a furious letter to the college newspaper or chants at a rally. Or a seminar on CRT. She talked about “lived experience” and the majority’s “let them eat cake” attitude. And the left loved it.

Justice Thomas was having none of it. But first he laid the foundation (emphasis added):

In the wake of the Civil War, the country focused its attention on restoring the Union and establishing the legal status of newly freed slaves. The Constitution was amended to abolish slavery and proclaim that all persons born in the United States are citizens, entitled to the privileges or immunities of citizenship and the equal protection of the laws. Amdts. 13, 14. Because of that second founding, “Our Constitution is color-blind, and neither knows nor tolerates classes among citizens.” Plessy v. Ferguson, 163 U. S. 537, 559 (1896) (Harlan, J., dissenting).

This Court’s commitment to that equality principle has ebbed and flowed over time. After forsaking the principle for decades, offering a judicial imprimatur to segregation and ushering in the Jim Crow era, the Court finally corrected course in Brown v. Board of Education, 347 U. S. 483 (1954), announcing that primary schools must either desegregate with all deliberate speed or else close their doors. See also Brown v. Board of Education, 349 U. S. 294 (1955) (Brown II ). It then pulled back in Grutter v. Bollinger, 539 U. S. 306 (2003), permitting universities to discriminate based on race in their admissions process (though only temporarily) in order to achieve alleged “educational benefits of diversity.” Id., at 319. Yet, the Constitution continues to embody a simple truth: Two discriminatory wrongs cannot make a right.

… I join the majority opinion in full. I write separately to offer an originalist defense of the colorblind Constitution; to explain further the flaws of the Court’s Grutter jurisprudence; to clarify that all forms of discrimination based on race—including so-called affirmative action—are prohibited under the Constitution; and to emphasize the pernicious effects of all such discrimination.

Combining the citizenship guarantee with the Privileges or Immunities Clause and the Equal Protection Clause, the Fourteenth Amendment ensures protection for all equal citizens of the Nation without regard to race. Put succinctly, “Our Constitution is color-blind.” Plessy, 163 U. S., at 559 (Harlan, J., dissenting).

Despite the extensive evidence favoring the colorblind view, as detailed above, it appears increasingly in vogue to embrace an “antisubordination” view of the Fourteenth Amendment: that the Amendment forbids only laws that hurt, but not help, blacks. Such a theory lacks any basis in the original meaning of the Fourteenth Amendment.

Properly understood, our precedents have largely adhered to the Fourteenth Amendment’s demand for colorblind laws.

In an effort to salvage their patently unconstitutional programs, the universities and their amici pivot to argue that the Fourteenth Amendment permits the use of race to benefit only certain racial groups—rather than applicants writ large. Yet, this is just the latest disguise for discrimination. The sudden narrative shift is not surprising, as it has long been apparent that “‘diversity [was] merely the current rationale of convenience’” to support racially discriminatory admissions programs. Grutter, 539 U. S., at 393 (Kennedy, J., dissenting). Under our precedents, this new rationale is also lacking.

Without such guardrails, the Fourteenth Amendment would become self-defeating, promising a Nation based on the equality ideal but yielding a quota- and caste-ridden society steeped in race-based discrimination.

Even taking the desire to help on its face, what initially seems like aid may in reality be a burden, including for the very people it seeks to assist. Take, for example, the college admissions policies here. “Affirmative action” policies do nothing to increase the overall number of blacks and Hispanics able to access a college education. Rather, those racial policies simply redistribute individuals among institutions of higher learning, placing some into more competitive institutions than they otherwise would have attended.

More: https://legalinsurrection.com/2023/06/clarence-thomas-reading-his-epic-takedown-of-kbjs-dissent-left-her-visibly-angry/

Offline Kamaji

Thomas' concurrence is a classic.  He really is master of his game.

Offline mountaineer

KBJ seems to think Supreme Court justices should be adjudge on the basis of the societal whims of Gen X or Z, whereas Thomas understands they are bound by the Constitution.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline andy58-in-nh

Aside from the wholly desirable outcome, I must admit that the best part of rulings like this one is the pure, unsullied enjoyment of watching the Left completely melt down.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline Kamaji

Aside from the wholly desirable outcome, I must admit that the best part of rulings like this one is the pure, unsullied enjoyment of watching the Left completely melt down.

Agreed.  And exposing their own innate racism so blatantly in the process:

« Last Edit: June 30, 2023, 12:26:21 pm by Kamaji »

Offline Polly Ticks

Holy cow.  That's just mind-boggling. 

Looks like she attempted to back-pedal, but it's not really going all that well.

http://twitter.com/ericareport/status/1674587364881240065
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline mountaineer

She can backtrack all she wants, but she accidentally admitted the Democrat mentality: "We are the elite who must rule; blacks are inferior to us and we can control them by tossing them occasional favors - like affirmative action."
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Kamaji

Holy cow.  That's just mind-boggling. 

Looks like she attempted to back-pedal, but it's not really going all that well.

http://twitter.com/ericareport/status/1674587364881240065

This was one of the better responses:

https://twitter.com/ShemekaMichelle/status/1674563558036602880

Offline Kamaji

Clarence Thomas SCORCHES Ketanji Brown Jackson in Concurring Opinion

BY MATT MARGOLIS
JUNE 29, 2023

In a long-awaited decision on Thursday, the Supreme Court declared that affirmative action policies are unconstitutional because they violate the Equal Protection Clause of the Fourteenth Amendment. As you can expect, The court was split on ideological lines. Justice Ketanji Brown Jackson, Joe Biden’s affirmative action pick for the Supreme Court, blasted the majority opinion in her dissenting opinion.

Jackson obviously has no problem advancing through life based on the color of her skin rather than on merit. Joe Biden promised to appoint a black female justice to the Supreme Court and followed through. He may have picked someone who doesn’t know what a female is, but he picked her nonetheless. As one could have easily assumed, she’s no different that the usual race hustlers of the radical left, and she got called out on it by none other than Justice Clarence Thomas in his concurring opinion.

“Accordingly, JUSTICE JACKSON’s race-infused world view falls flat at each step. Individuals are the sum of their unique experiences, challenges, and accomplishments,” Thomas wrote. “What matters is not the barriers they face, but how they choose to confront them. And their race is not to blame for everything—good or bad—that happens in their lives. A contrary, myopic world view based on individuals’ skin color to the total exclusion of their personal choices is nothing short of racial determinism.”

Oh, but he wasn’t done yet.

“JUSTICE JACKSON then builds from her faulty premise to call for action, arguing that courts should defer to ‘experts’ and allow institutions to discriminate on the basis of race,” Thomas continued. “Make no mistake: Her dissent is not a vanguard of the innocent and helpless. It is instead a call to empower privileged elites, who will ‘tell us [what] is required to level the playing field’ among castes and classifications that they alone can divine. […] Then, after siloing us all into racial castes and pitting those castes against each other, the dissent somehow believes that we will be able—at some undefined point—to “march forward together” into some utopian vision.”

Thomas went on to accuse Jackson of using race-based stereotypes in her dissent and never seemed to pull a punch to shred her dissent to pieces.

Though JUSTICE JACKSON seems to think that her race- based theory can somehow benefit everyone, it is an immutable fact that “every time the government uses racial criteria to ‘bring the races together,’ someone gets excluded, and the person excluded suffers an injury solely because of his or her race.” […] Indeed, JUSTICE JACKSON seems to have no response—no explanation at all—for the people who will shoulder that burden. How, for example, would JUSTICE JACKSON explain the need for race-based preferences to the Chinese student who has worked hard his whole life, only to be denied college admission in part because of his skin color? If such a burden would seem difficult to impose on a bright-eyed young person, that’s because it should be. History has taught us to abhor theories that call for elites to pick racial winners and losers in the name of sociological experimentation.

Source:  https://pjmedia.com/news-and-politics/matt-margolis/2023/06/29/clarence-thomas-throws-shade-at-ketanji-brown-jackson-in-concurring-opinion-n1707308

Offline Kamaji

He is a master!

I particularly like his references to the uses of government-mandated racial preferences in history, because it all but directly connects the liberals of today with their intellectual forebears in the NSDAP.

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
I read the entire opinion. It is so heartening when someone actually "gets it." Thomas takes a lot of flack, and even though liberal historians will trash him, I hope his opinions will stand the test of time. Because if they do not, then the country is lost. This opinion is a real jewel.

Offline Kamaji

I read the entire opinion. It is so heartening when someone actually "gets it." Thomas takes a lot of flack, and even though liberal historians will trash him, I hope his opinions will stand the test of time. Because if they do not, then the country is lost. This opinion is a real jewel.

:thumbsup:

Offline Hoodat

Thomas takes a lot of flack, and even though liberal historians will trash him, I hope his opinions will stand the test of time.

This is what the Left thinks of Justice Clarence Thomas:

“I hope his wife feeds him lots of eggs and butter and he dies early, like many black men do, of heart disease.”

-Julianne Malveaux-
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Kamaji

This is what the Left thinks of Justice Clarence Thomas:

“I hope his wife feeds him lots of eggs and butter and he dies early, like many black men do, of heart disease.”

-Julianne Malveaux-

Wow.  More palpable racism from the left.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan

This was one of the better responses:

https://twitter.com/ShemekaMichelle/status/1674563558036602880

There are a number of other really good ones as well.

Liberals simply cannot help themselves. If there is a cow pie to be found they WILL step in it!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
KJB launches into that old ratty, moldy woke narrative about blacks being oppressed, as if she just got away from her chains 15 minutes ago.

Except Harvard et al are discriminating against Asians - often immigrants -  who have nothing to do with slavery or Jim Crow. The narrative is blown up, it's just black supremacism, and 'browns' are a throwaway line to try and hide it.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Kamaji

KJB launches into that old ratty, moldy woke narrative about blacks being oppressed, as if she just got away from her chains 15 minutes ago.

Except Harvard et al are discriminating against Asians - often immigrants -  who have nothing to do with slavery or Jim Crow. The narrative is blown up, it's just black supremacism, and 'browns' are a throwaway line to try and hide it.

:thumbsup:

Offline DefiantMassRINO

Congress can use the Power of the Purse to dissuade universities from giving preference to alumni legacy admissions, relatives or friends of donors, and rich foreign students.

Dem mayors in Dem cities with Dem school committees will now have to demonstrate how committed they are to social justice reform by overhauling underperforming urban school systems to academically compete with public school systems in the suburbs.
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Offline Kamaji

Back to the headline of the post - Jackson should have been angry - angry at herself - as well as embarrassed and ashamed for having written such a categorically racist opinion.  "Justice" Jackson is as racist as those former members of the Court who authored Dred Scott.

Offline roamer_1

Justice Thomas never fails.

Offline Kamaji

Justice Thomas never fails.

That is an understatement.  He never fails to excel.

Offline Polly Ticks

Justice Thomas is a national treasure. 
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline Kamaji

Justice Thomas is a national treasure. 

Yes he is.  Each Supreme Court term makes me more and more grateful that he was able to stand up to that hideous confirmation process he was subjected to.

Offline roamer_1

That's right... Since Scalia's passing, I think he more than any other, stands in Scalia's shoes. And he does.

Offline Polly Ticks

Each Supreme Court term makes me more and more grateful that he was able to stand up to that hideous confirmation process he was subjected to.

QFT