Author Topic: Don’t panic over reefs  (Read 209 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Don’t panic over reefs
« on: June 30, 2023, 12:05:14 pm »
Don’t panic over reefs
By CFACT Ed |June 30th, 2023|3 Comments
BY VALERIE CHECK:

“More than half the world’s reefs have perished in the past 30 years,” Newsweek announced in an article claiming that ocean warming is driving bleaching events that have devastated reefs around the globe. Bleaching, according to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, occurs when coral tissue expels algae, causing the coral to turn white.

“There is at least a reasonable expectation that if current carbon dioxide emission trends continue, corals will not survive this century,” Ken Caldeira, a senior scientist with the Carnegie Institution’s Department of Global Ecology, told USA Oceana.

Climate change advocates like Caldeira say that CO2-induced warming has driven an increase in the frequency and magnitude of bleaching events since the 1800s. This claimed rapid change suggests coral reefs are reaching a tipping point, “after which runaway climate change intensifies beyond humanity’s ability to arrest it,” according to Seaver Wang of the Breakthrough Institute.

Are these dire pronouncements accurate? Could a two-degree change in water temperature knock out a species that has survived for more than 40 million years?

Don’t panic over reefs

https://www.cfact.org/2023/06/30/dont-panic-over-reefs/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=dont-panic-over-reefs&utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=dont-panic-over-reefs
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Kamaji

Re: Don’t panic over reefs
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2023, 12:05:54 pm »
:facepalm2: