Author Topic: Harvard reacts to Supreme Court affirmative action ruling: Diversity is 'essential to academic excel  (Read 895 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
June 29, 2023 12:28pm EDT
Harvard reacts to Supreme Court affirmative action ruling: Diversity is 'essential to academic excellence'
Harvard's leadership highlighted another path to accounting for race in admissions, in wake of Supreme Court ruling

By Anders Hagstrom FOXBusiness

Harvard University responded to the Supreme Court's ruling that the university's admissions system was unconstitutional on Thursday, announcing in a statement that it will "certainly" comply with the decision.

Harvard's leadership declared in the statement that "diversity and difference are essential to academic excellence," and vowed to "preserve" the university's essential values. The statement also highlighted a potential route by which Harvard could continue to account for race in admissions in some form.

"The Court held that Harvard College’s admissions system does not comply with the principles of the equal protection clause embodied in Title VI of the Civil Rights Act," the statement read. "The Court also ruled that colleges and universities may consider in admissions decisions 'an applicant’s discussion of how race affected his or her life, be it through discrimination, inspiration, or otherwise.' We will certainly comply with the Court’s decision."

"We write today to reaffirm the fundamental principle that deep and transformative teaching, learning, and research depend upon a community comprising people of many backgrounds, perspectives, and lived experiences," the statement continued. "That principle is as true and important today as it was yesterday. So too are the abiding values that have enabled us — and every great educational institution — to pursue the high calling of educating creative thinkers and bold leaders, of deepening human knowledge, and of promoting progress, justice and human flourishing."

more
https://www.foxbusiness.com/politics/harvard-reacts-supreme-court-affirmative-action-ruling-diversity-is-essential-to-academic-excellence
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online cato potatoe

These people really don't want to rub elbows with asians, do they? 

Offline Kamaji

Total bullshit.  The statistics that were cited in Thomas' concurrence clearly demonstrate that a racially motivated level of "diversity" does not have a clear causal connection to academic excellence.

In fact, he cited to the records of the so-called historically black universities - which are clearly not racially balanced - as demonstrating that excellence has nothing to do with racial diversity.

And that's even without getting into the question of how much racial diversity these schools are actually looking at.  As Thomas pointed out, they only allow for one racial category for "Asian", which therefore subsumes Chinese, Japanese, Koreans, Laotians, Vietnamese, not to mention any of the ethnic minorities within those countries, all within a single "race" - what sort of level of perversity requires one to conclude that someone from a Chinese family background and someone from a Japanese family background - particularly given what happened just before and during WWII - are sufficiently similar to each other that they have the same thoughts and outlook on life, such that they should be lumped together in a single "race" category.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Total bullshit.  The statistics that were cited in Thomas' concurrence clearly demonstrate that a racially motivated level of "diversity" does not have a clear causal connection to academic excellence.

In fact, he cited to the records of the so-called historically black universities - which are clearly not racially balanced - as demonstrating that excellence has nothing to do with racial diversity.

And that's even without getting into the question of how much racial diversity these schools are actually looking at.  As Thomas pointed out, they only allow for one racial category for "Asian", which therefore subsumes Chinese, Japanese, Koreans, Laotians, Vietnamese, not to mention any of the ethnic minorities within those countries, all within a single "race" - what sort of level of perversity requires one to conclude that someone from a Chinese family background and someone from a Japanese family background - particularly given what happened just before and during WWII - are sufficiently similar to each other that they have the same thoughts and outlook on life, such that they should be lumped together in a single "race" category.

Clarence Thomas has always had his head screwed on perfectly straight. And the left hates him for it.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
It's as if Harvard and other elite universities want to get sued.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
If you want to stop discrimination on the basis of race stop discriminating on the basis of race.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.

Lumping Asians?

What about lumping Irish, Icelanders, Germans, Croats, Poles, Russians, Spaniards, Greeks, French, Flemish, Scots, Ukrainians, Hungarians, Norwegians, Swedes, Hungarians, Finlanders, Greeks, English, Italians, Lithuanians, Estonians, Canadians, etc., all under "White"?
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
Lumping Asians?

What about lumping Irish, Icelanders, Germans, Croats, Poles, Russians, Spaniards, Greeks, French, Flemish, Scots, Ukrainians, Hungarians, Norwegians, Swedes, Hungarians, Finlanders, Greeks, English, Italians, Lithuanians, Estonians, Canadians, etc., all under "White"?

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Kamaji

Lumping Asians?

I picked asians because that was the category of people that Justice Thomas mentioned.  But obviously, it can go for any heterogeneous group of people who are all put under one simplified category, like "Asian" or "White".

Offline mountaineer

Apparently, the Harvard administration is clueless and do not realize what a joke this formerly esteemed institution has become. I'd send a kid to a small state college before I'd waste his time with Harvard.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
Apparently, the Harvard administration is clueless and do not realize what a joke this formerly esteemed institution has become. I'd send a kid to a small state college before I'd waste his time with Harvard.

Why anyone would want to subject themselves to the indoctrination is beyond me, but now they can try to do that without being discriminated against because of race.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline The_Reader_David

Diversity is 'essential to academic excellence'.   

Really? In that case explain the standings of ETH Zurich (#20) and the University of Tokyo (#24) in the world rankings of universities.
And when they behead your own people in the wars which are to come, then you will know what this was all about.

Offline mountaineer

Scratch a Democrat, reveal a bigot.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Within Hours Of The SCOTUS Ruling, Harvard Finds Loophole To Continue Being Racist
Reagan Reese
4–5 minutes

Harvard University suggested in a statement Thursday that it will use essays to continue to weigh students’ race following a ruling by the Supreme Court that struck down affirmative action.

The Supreme Court ruled that Harvard University and the University of North Carolina’s use of race-based affirmative action admissions policies were unconstitutional. Following the ruling, Harvard University said it will use applicants’ essays detailing how race has affected their lives in an effort to “comply with the Court’s decision,” according to a university statement.

“Today, the Supreme Court delivered its decision in Students for Fair Admissions v. President and Fellows of Harvard College,” the press release stated. “The Court held that Harvard College’s admissions system does not comply with the principles of the equal protection clause embodied in Title VI of the Civil Rights Act. The Court also ruled that colleges and universities may consider in admissions decisions ‘an applicant’s discussion of how race affected his or her life, be it through discrimination, inspiration, or otherwise.’ We will certainly comply with the Court’s decision.”

more
https://dailycaller.com/2023/06/29/harvard-circumvent-supreme-courts-affirmative-action/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
It's as if Harvard and other elite universities want to get sued.

@Free Vulcan

Well,they ARE located in the North  East,so their contributions would go through the roof if they were sued.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits

@mountaineer

And it would be 1,000 times harder for him to get a job offer from one of the big Wall Street firms.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
Lumping Asians?

@Smokin Joe You got a thing for Hungarians? :silly: It's OK with me I'm an American but first generation of Hungarian parents but really just a plain old American which is what my parents considered themselves after gaining their citizenship.