Author Topic: A new generic treatment for multiple types of cancer  (Read 473 times)

Online Kamaji

A new generic treatment for multiple types of cancer
« on: June 29, 2023, 01:34:34 pm »
A new generic treatment for multiple types of cancer

Date:  June 27, 2023
Source:  RIKEN
Summary:  Researchers have developed a new type of tumor-targeted alpha-particle therapy that has the potential to generically treat several kinds of cancer, with fewer negative side effects than currently available methods. The proof-of-concept study showed that tumors in mice grew almost three times less and survival was 100% after just one injection of a compound that is designed to emit small amounts of alpha radiation from the inside of cancer cells, thus killing them but sparing healthy tissue.

Researchers led by Katsunori Tanaka at the RIKEN Cluster for Pioneering Research (CPR) in Japan and Hiromitsu Haba at the RIKEN Nishina Center for Accelerator-Based Science (RNC) have developed a new technique that has the potential to generically treat several kinds of cancer, with fewer negative side effects than currently available methods. Published on June 27 in Chemical Science, the proof-of-concept study showed that tumors in mice grew almost three times less and survival was 100% after just one injection of a compound that is designed to emit small amounts of alpha radiation from the inside of cancer cells, thus killing them but sparing healthy tissue.

The side effects of standard chemotherapy and radiation treatment can be devastating, and the eradication of all cancer cells is not guaranteed, especially when the cancer has already metastasized and spread throughout the body. Therefore, the goal of most research these days is to find a way to specifically target cancer cells so that treatments only affect tumors. Some targeted treatments do exist, but they cannot be applied to all cancers. “One of the greatest advantages of our new method,” says Tanaka, “is that is can be used to treat many kinds of cancer without any targeting vectors, such as antibodies or peptides.”

The new technique relies on basic chemistry and the fact that a compound called acrolein accumulates in cancer cells. A few years ago, Tanaka’s team used a similar technique to detect individual breast cancer cells. They attached a fluorescent compound to a specific type of azide—an organic molecule with a group of three nitrogen atoms (N3) at the end. When the azide and acrolein meet inside a cancer cell, they react, and the fluorescent compound becomes anchored to structures inside the cancer cell. Because acrolein is almost absent from healthy cells, this technique acted like a probe to light up cancer cells in the body.

In the new study, rather than simply detecting cancer cells, the team targeted those cells for destruction. The logic was fairly simple. Instead of attaching the azide to a fluorescent compound, they attached it to something that can kill a cell without harming surrounding cells. The chose to work with astatine-211, a radionuclide that emits a small amount of radiation in the form of an alpha particle as it decays. Compared to other forms of radiation therapy, alpha particles are a little more deadly, but they can only travel about one twentieth of a millimeter and can be stopped by a piece of paper. In theory, when astatine-211 is anchored to the inside a cancer cell, the emitted alpha particles should damage the cancer cell, but not much beyond.

Source:  https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2023/06/230627225205.htm

Offline PeteS in CA

Re: A new generic treatment for multiple types of cancer
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2023, 03:02:44 pm »
If this works out it would be a boon to many. A common decision for people far into cancer treatment is whether the effects of radiation or chemo might be as bad as or worse than the cancer itself.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2023, 04:06:17 pm »
A common decision for people far into cancer treatment is whether the effects of radiation or chemo might be as bad as or worse than the cancer itself.

... and the chances of recurrence for certain cancers making those choices even more difficult.  If this pans out (eventually, after extensive testing and examination of unintended consequences, of course) maybe those recurrences could be reduced as well. Certainly worth exploring.
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2023, 04:07:59 pm »
three times less? 9999hair out0000

Is that the same as 1/3 as MUCH?
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2023, 04:26:56 pm »
it sounds very promising. I lost my wife to ovarian cancer 8 years ago. The year and a half of treatment before she died was a living hell.  Would not wish that on anyone.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2023, 04:32:04 pm »

@Kamaji

The side effects of standard chemotherapy and radiation treatment can be devastating

And that is putting  it mildly. My short-term memory is GONE. I put notes on my cell phone to remind me what to get when I go to the grocery store,and then forget to look at the phone.

I left a doctors office a couple of days with a new prescription to help with acid refux,and forgot to get it by the time I got to the drug store. And THIS was with acid reflux setting off bon  fires in my stomach.

I THINK my memory is slowly starting to get better,but who am I to judge it?

Right now  I  would be thrilled to have good days  and bad days.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2023, 04:35:39 pm »
If this works out it would be a boon to many. A common decision for people far into cancer treatment is whether the effects of radiation or chemo might be as bad as or worse than the cancer itself.

@PeterS

Sadly,very true. My chemo doc told me when she offered me the experimental cancer drug that saved my life that "many people get so sick from taking the drug they tell me they would rather die from cancer than continue to take it." Seriously.

I was one of the lucky ones that never once had a bad day from taking it. In fact,by that time my memory was so fried from the chemo that I forgot I was taking it,and when my cancer doc asked me "How are you doing with the new drug?",I asked her,"What new drug". I had completely forgotten all about taking it.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2023, 04:36:40 pm »
three times less? 9999hair out0000

Is that the same as 1/3 as MUCH?

@Smokin Joe

Who  knows? It might be the same as 9 times as much.
Divided by 27.
Times 12.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2023, 04:37:59 pm by sneakypete »

Online goatprairie

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2023, 02:41:02 am »
What could be a very promising advances in treatment are the prospects of new methods of detecting early stage cancer like blood or saliva tests. AI is also now being considered as a tool of early detection.
I had a brother die of esophageal cancer seven years ago and a sister-in-law from breast cancer six years ago.
Detecting cancer at the earliest stages would save or appreciably prolong the lives of millions.
New treatments for many different types of cancer are coming out every week or month now.