Author Topic: Britain to be left without emergency coal reserves this winter  (Read 291 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor

Britain to be left without emergency coal reserves this winter
Story by Matt Oliver • Yesterday 9:12 AM

Britain is to be left without backup coal power plants this winter after the energy companies Drax and EDF confirmed plans to close their remaining stations.

The National Grid on Wednesday said it had ended talks with the two companies about keeping open West Burton A, in Nottinghamshire, and two coal-fired units at Drax’s plant in Selby, Yorkshire, after they made clear that the sites would not be available.

Last winter, the companies were paid to keep these coal units on standby as a final resort to keep the lights on if gas and renewable energy generation ran low.

But the refusal of EDF and Drax to keep the facilities open means the Grid will be unable to keep this so-called winter contingency in reserve again.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/britain-to-be-left-without-emergency-coal-reserves-this-winter/ar-AA1d9XWo?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=6df860ad053b474fbed71027de178c0c&ei=49
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: Britain to be left without emergency coal reserves this winter
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2023, 11:19:44 am »
It doesn't get that cold in Britain where they can't go without dependable heat for a couple weeks. :whistle:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Re: Britain to be left without emergency coal reserves this winter
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2023, 02:51:03 pm »
You voted for it, you eat it Britain. Hope it doesn't cost you your life.
The Republic is lost.