Author Topic: First look at doomed Titan submersible as it’s hauled ashore in Canada  (Read 1048 times)

Offline Kamaji

First look at doomed Titan submersible as it’s hauled ashore in Canada

By Lee Brown
June 28, 2023

The mangled wreckage of the doomed Titan sub was seen for the first time Wednesday — 10 days after it imploded, killing all five passengers on a deep-sea tour of the Titanic.

Several large chunks of the submersible were hauled ashore, lifted by crane from the recovery ship after it docked in Canada.

Despite attempts to keep it covered, photos appeared to show mangled electronics — as well as the nose cone with its distinctive circular window, Canada Press said.

The debris was recovered by US-based Pelagic Research Services, which said its crew on the Horizon Arctic has been “working around the clock now for ten days” through “physical and mental challenges.”

They used specialized remote-controlled vehicles to find the shattered sub about 12,500 feet underwater and several hundred feet away from the Titanic wreckage that it was on its way to explore.

Source:  https://nypost.com/2023/06/28/first-look-at-titan-sub-wreckage-as-its-brought-ashore/

Offline Kamaji

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
Looks more like backyard pool parts than a vehicle designed to go to 12k feet below the surface.

Offline Kamaji

I'm wondering how much of the white stuff that looks like fabric is coverings that the recovery crews put on the parts to prevent further damage.

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
I'm wondering what the second picture is showing. Maybe part of an outer hull. The carbon fiber part was 5" thick.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Online Polly Ticks

Despite attempts to keep it covered, photos appeared to show ...

Why the attempt to keep it covered?  It's not like they recovered bodies or body parts.
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
‘Presumed’ human remains recovered from doomed Titanic submersible
By David Propper   
June 28, 2023 6:38pm

“Presumed human remains” were recovered from the OceanGate submersible that imploded en route to the Titanic wreckage 10 days ago, the US Coast Guard said Wednesday.

All five people on board the Titan sub died during its deep-sea exploration.

“United States medical professionals will conduct a formal analysis of presumed human remains that have been carefully recovered within the wreckage at the site of the incident,” the Coast Guard said in a statement.

The five victims were OceanGate CEO Stockton Rush, 61, French Titanic expert Paul-Henri Nargeolet, 77, British billionaire Hamish Harding, 58, prominent Pakistani businessman Shahzada Dawood, 48, and his 19-year-old son, Sulaiman Dawood.

Stockton, who was piloting the submersible, has since faced unwavering scrutiny for seemingly ignoring major safety concerns while charging wealthy tourists to pay $250,000 each for a trip to see the famed ship that sank in 1912.

The Coast Guard said it received debris and evidence from the seafloor at the site of the Titan catastrophe when the ship arrived in Canada Wednesday.

Large chunks of the mangled wreckage were seen as it was hauled ashore by crane from a recovery ship after it docked.

more
https://nypost.com/2023/06/28/presumed-human-remains-recovered-from-doomed-titantic-submersible/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Kamaji

‘Presumed’ human remains recovered from doomed Titanic submersible
By David Propper   
June 28, 2023 6:38pm

“Presumed human remains” were recovered from the OceanGate submersible that imploded en route to the Titanic wreckage 10 days ago, the US Coast Guard said Wednesday.

All five people on board the Titan sub died during its deep-sea exploration.

“United States medical professionals will conduct a formal analysis of presumed human remains that have been carefully recovered within the wreckage at the site of the incident,” the Coast Guard said in a statement.

The five victims were OceanGate CEO Stockton Rush, 61, French Titanic expert Paul-Henri Nargeolet, 77, British billionaire Hamish Harding, 58, prominent Pakistani businessman Shahzada Dawood, 48, and his 19-year-old son, Sulaiman Dawood.

Stockton, who was piloting the submersible, has since faced unwavering scrutiny for seemingly ignoring major safety concerns while charging wealthy tourists to pay $250,000 each for a trip to see the famed ship that sank in 1912.

The Coast Guard said it received debris and evidence from the seafloor at the site of the Titan catastrophe when the ship arrived in Canada Wednesday.

Large chunks of the mangled wreckage were seen as it was hauled ashore by crane from a recovery ship after it docked.

more
https://nypost.com/2023/06/28/presumed-human-remains-recovered-from-doomed-titantic-submersible/

Wow.  I didn't think anything of the individuals would have survived.

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer

I remember when they thought they had found part of the black astronaut that died on the Challenger. Turned out to be a radiator hose off an old Chevy.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!

Now DNA testing..
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline mountaineer

YouTube "experts" told us they essentially were pureed. Apparently not.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Kamaji

YouTube "experts" told us they essentially were pureed. Apparently not.

Well, we don't know what sort of remains have been recovered.  Pureed or partially pureed remains could be trapped in crevices in the recovered equipment, for example.

Online DB

Well, we don't know what sort of remains have been recovered.  Pureed or partially pureed remains could be trapped in crevices in the recovered equipment, for example.

I'd guess that all the carbon fiber shards would make a pretty good shredder.

Online Polly Ticks

Why the attempt to keep it covered?  It's not like they recovered bodies or body parts.

Holy cow.  That aged poorly.
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline Kamaji

As well as the effect of an almost instantaneous implosion at 4,500 feet of depth.

Online DB

One of the pictures is the titanium end with the view port. It looks like the titanium piece is intact but the view port window is gone.

Online DB

As well as the effect of an almost instantaneous implosion at 4,500 feet of depth.

It was a lot deeper than that wasn't it?

Offline Kamaji

It was a lot deeper than that wasn't it?

I believe that it was somewheres between 4,500 and 5,500 feet below the surface, based on when it stopped pinging the surface ship.

Online DB

I believe that it was somewheres between 4,500 and 5,500 feet below the surface, based on when it stopped pinging the surface ship.

I thought it took about 2 hours to drop to the bottom. They lost contact 1 hour 45 minutes after it dived (more or less).

Offline Kamaji

I thought it took about 2 hours to drop to the bottom. They lost contact 1 hour 45 minutes after it dived (more or less).

I'd have to go back and find the source I looked at for the computations.

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
I read it was a 2 1/2 hour drop. That may have put them at around 8,000 feet down. I also read the sub had a warning device that had gone off and the sub was ascending. I can't find where I read that.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Not much to shred going from atmospheric pressure to 5500 PSI. (10 PSI overpressure can be fatal)
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Not much to shred going from atmospheric pressure to 5500 PSI. (10 PSI overpressure can be fatal)

It would only be about 2500 pounds if current estimates of the death at which the implosion occurred are accurate but that would not make much difference.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online DB

The pressure in of itself isn't going to shred a human body if the pressure is uniform around the body. All the voids will collapse but the bulk of the body will remain. And we're not talking about what if fatal, we're talking about what remains.

I wonder if they found the plastic view port? The titanium end cap that holds the view port is intact but the view port is gone. If the view port is still in one piece then it wasn't the failure point.