Author Topic: The EV Kool-Aid acid Test  (Read 215 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
The EV Kool-Aid acid Test
« on: June 28, 2023, 12:05:58 pm »
The EV Kool-Aid acid Test
By Duggan Flanakin |June 28th, 2023

In his 1968 book The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test, author Tom Wolfe portrayed Ken Kesey as a man seeking to create a new religion. Kesey’s followers and peers — the “Merry Pranksters” – sought to create a new society based on psychedelic transcendence. Actually, it all started thanks to a CIA-sponsored drug study in which Kesey was given LSD.

Mary Barra, the CEO of General Motors, apparently finds driving an electric vehicle to be as thrilling as one of Kesey’s LSD trips. In a recent social media post, she announced, “Once you’ve experienced an [electric vehicle] and all it has to offer – the torque, handling, performance, capability – you’re in!”

The euphoria of EV zealots is rarely challenged directly by little things like facts – like the fact that the vast majority of people just do not want one. A recent Rasmussen survey found that 52 percent of American adults think EVs are not practical compared to just 25 percent who think otherwise; the rest are just not sure. Ten years ago, 19 percent favored EVs – that’s a 6 percent jump in a full decade.

https://www.cfact.org/2023/06/28/the-ev-kool-aid-acid-test/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=the-ev-kool-aid-acid-test&utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=the-ev-kool-aid-acid-test
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Kamaji

Re: The EV Kool-Aid acid Test
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2023, 12:13:15 pm »
“Once you’ve experienced an [electric vehicle] and all it has to offer – the torque, handling, performance, capability – you’re in!”

Yah, until you have to take a trip that's longer than 200 miles.

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
Re: The EV Kool-Aid acid Test
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2023, 10:15:27 pm »
Yah, until you have to take a trip that's longer than 200 miles.
Yeah she left out stranded on the road in the middle of nowhere with the added thrill of it being scorching hot or freezing cold and then of course there is the experience of replacing the battery pack or having a brick.