Author Topic: Aussie Government Admits the Green Energy Revolution will Require Lots of Coal  (Read 193 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Aussie Government Admits the Green Energy Revolution will Require Lots of Coal
19 hours ago Eric Worrall 64 Comments
Essay by Eric Worrall

“… Each new megawatt of solar power requires 35-45 tonnes of steel, which still needs iron ore and coal …”

Critical minerals ‘main event’ in climate change action

By Marion Rae
Updated June 26 2023 – 12:41pm, first published 12:38pm

More mining, not less, is needed to support the world’s climate change targets and avert an energy shortage, a global summit has been told.

The shift to clean energy systems is gaining momentum, and unlike previous transformation it relies on critical minerals and rare earths, Resources Minister Madeleine King said on Monday at a mining symposium in Brisbane.

An onshore wind power plant requires nine times more mineral resources than a gas-fired power plant, Ms King said.

Each new megawatt of solar power requires 35-45 tonnes of steel, which still needs iron ore and coal despite “exciting developments” in hydrogen that may eventually lead to Australia producing green steel.

“That remains distant, so metallurgical coal will remain a necessary component of steel for some time to come,” she said.

https://wattsupwiththat.com/2023/06/27/aussie-government-admits-the-green-energy-revolution-will-require-lots-of-coal/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson