Author Topic: Still Waiting For The Magical Future Of Free Wind Power  (Read 176 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Still Waiting For The Magical Future Of Free Wind Power
« on: June 28, 2023, 11:47:06 am »
Still Waiting For The Magical Future Of Free Wind Power
June 26, 2023/ Francis Menton

Wind power:  It’s clean.  It’s free.  It’s renewable.  Google the subject, and you will quickly find fifty articles claiming that electricity from wind is now cheaper than electricity from those evil, dirty fossil fuels.  So why doesn’t some country somewhere get all of its electricity from wind?

In fact, despite now several decades of breakneck building of wind turbines, no country seems to be able to get even half of its electricity from wind when averaged over the course of a year, and no country has really even begun to solve the problem of needing full backup when the wind doesn’t blow. 

Germany is the current world champion at trying to get its electricity from wind.  (It also gets a small contribution from solar panels, but since it is the world’s cloudiest country, those don’t help much.).   According to Clean Energy Wire, December 2022, in 2020 Germany got 45.2% of its electricity from wind and sun.  Then that declined to 41% in 2021, due to lack of wind.  In 2022 they appear to have bounced back to 46%.  Germany has enough wind turbines that they produce big surpluses of electricity when the wind blows at full strength.  But they still haven’t cracked the threshold of meeting 50% of electricity demand with wind and sun over the course of a year. 

https://www.manhattancontrarian.com/blog/2023-6-26-still-waiting-for-the-magical-future-of-free-wind-power
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson