Author Topic: 5 malaria cases in Florida and Texas were acquired locally, CDC warns  (Read 641 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Live Science By Nicoletta Lanese 6/27/2023

Four people in Florida and one person in Texas recently caught malaria within the U.S. Similar cases haven't been reported since 2003.

The mosquito-borne illness malaria has sickened five U.S. residents with no recent travel history, meaning they caught the disease locally, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) warned Monday (June 26).

Before these cases, locally acquired mosquito-borne malaria had not been reported in the U.S. for 20 years, since 2003 when eight people in Palm Beach County, Florida caught the disease, according to the CDC health advisory.

The five recent cases took place within the past two months. Four happened in "close geographic proximity" in Sarasota County, Florida. The remaining case was in Cameron County, Texas, the Texas Department of State Health Services reported. The CDC advisory notes that the cases were "mosquito-transmitted," meaning those affected got malaria from mosquito bites, which is the most common way of catching the disease.

Each year, about 2,000 people test positive for malaria in the U.S., but the vast majority have recently traveled internationally to regions where the disease is endemic, meaning it regularly spreads there, the CDC notes. However, because mosquito species that can carry malaria live in the U.S., there's a potential risk for local mosquitoes to pick up malaria parasites from an infected person and thus reintroduce the disease in the area.

(Malaria was eliminated in the U.S. in the 1940s and 1950s, thanks to a campaign largely aimed at eliminating mosquito breeding grounds and spraying mosquito-killing pesticides.)   

More: https://www.livescience.com/health/viruses-infections-disease/5-malaria-cases-in-florida-and-texas-were-acquired-locally-cdc-warns

Offline PeteS in CA

Since the amoebas in different regions have developed resistance to different anti-malarial drugs, it would be valuable to know where the mosquitos came from so as to know which drugs would work best.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
Blame it on the illegals. They are (probably) bringing all kinds of transmitible diseases
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Gee Wally? Ya think they might let doctors prescribe Hydroxychloroquine again?
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline PeteS in CA

*****rollingeyes***** Malaria is spread by mosquitos, not illegal immigrants.

Is hydroxychloroquine effective against this particular variety of the amoeba that causes malaria? It and chloroquine are ineffective in much of the world, https://www.cdc.gov/malaria/travelers/country_table/a.html , and recommended in some.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
(Malaria was eliminated in the U.S. in the 1940s and 1950s, thanks to a campaign largely aimed at eliminating mosquito breeding grounds and spraying mosquito-killing pesticides.) 

Can you say DDT?  Yes I knew that you could.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Kamaji

*****rollingeyes***** Malaria is spread by mosquitos, not illegal immigrants.

Is hydroxychloroquine effective against this particular variety of the amoeba that causes malaria? It and chloroquine are ineffective in much of the world, https://www.cdc.gov/malaria/travelers/country_table/a.html , and recommended in some.

Not necessarily.  If an illegal (or anyone else for that matter), is already infected with malaria, a mosquito in the U.S. could pick up the malaria from that person and then spread it to other people through bites.

Offline DB

Not necessarily.  If an illegal (or anyone else for that matter), is already infected with malaria, a mosquito in the U.S. could pick up the malaria from that person and then spread it to other people through bites.

Yep. The mosquitos spread it from other infected things.

Online mountaineer

Emerald Robinson ✝️
@EmeraldRobinson
A company owned by Bill Gates (the best friend of pedophile Jeffrey Epstein!) just released 5 million genetically modified mosquitos last year in Florida. And now malaria has returned to Florida.
Do you see how this works?
8:33 AM · Jun 29, 2023
Florida Malaria Cases Spark Bill Gates Conspiracy Theory
Story by Nick Mordowanec • Yesterday 6:17 PM

Microsoft founder Bill Gates is being blamed by some for sudden malaria cases reported in the United States for the first time in two decades.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) said Monday that at least five cases of malaria—four in Florida, one in Texas—were acquired within the United States and have been reported in the past two months. These cases represent the first time that locally acquired mosquito-borne malaria has occurred nationwide since 2003 in Palm Beach County, Florida. ...

... Gates' foundation in 2016 did successfully install a "gene drive" in a malaria-transmitting species of mosquito that renders females of the species sterile. It was part of another multimillion-dollar investment into the foundation's "Target Malaria" project, based at Imperial College in London, England.

That team developed a gene drive in a lab of malaria-transmitting species of mosquito that renders females of the species sterile. However, gene drive mosquitoes have never been used anywhere in the world.

"Genetically modified mosquitoes cannot bring malaria to the U.S.," Beier said, imploring individuals to use the same safety protocols they have always used, such as insect repellant. "Current GMO mosquitoes do not pose a risk."  ...
Newsweek via MSN
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
"Genetically modified mosquitoes cannot bring malaria to the U.S.," Beier said, imploring individuals to use the same safety protocols they have always used, such as insect repellant. "Current GMO mosquitoes do not pose a risk." ...

So what, genetically modified mosquitoes no longer bite? Do they die after biting? Because if not I call bullsquat on this guys claim. I don't think being sterile precludes a GM mosquito spreading disease while it is alive.

https://www.health.state.mn.us/diseases/mosquitoborne/diseases.html

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
Re: 5 malaria cases in Florida and Texas were acquired locally, CDC warns
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2023, 09:48:44 pm »
Been quite a while since I was in the epidemological field, but seem to remember Malaria being endemic anyway. At  least in the 30 lat areas southward.

Something must have changed, morphed, or genetically altered to vector in a more potent pathogen.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online mountaineer

Re: 5 malaria cases in Florida and Texas were acquired locally, CDC warns
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2023, 02:35:10 pm »
I do not know how factually accurate this tweet is, but FWIW ...
🇺🇸ProudArmyBrat
@leslibless
Last Spring, the Environmental Protection Agency, working with U.S. biotech company Oxitec, released 2.4 billion genetically modified mosquitos into Florida.
The experiment was an attempt to reduce the numbers of an invasive species, which carry diseases like Yellow Fever & Dengue.
It FAILED MISERABLY!
These gene-hacking mosquitos, meant to be infertile, and unable to bite, have reproduced, becoming even more resilient. Not only do these mutant hybrid insects and their babies now carry the very diseases they were made to eradicate, they now spread Malaria.
On June 26, 2023, The Florida Dept of Health came out with a Statewide Health Advisory warning of confirmed Malaria cases, “transmitted through infected mosquitos.”
We have not had a case of Malaria in the United States in the last 20 years.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org