Author Topic: Gov. Abbott Vetoes House Bill, Citing Election Integrity Concerns  (Read 432 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Texas Scorecard by  Matthew DeLaCruz June 26, 2023

The vague language of the measure would have opened doors for more mail-in ballot fraud.

In a move that has ignited a firestorm of controversy, Gov. Greg Abbott vetoed a measure aimed at expanding the voting rights of disabled Texans. The measure’s vague wording would have put the election system at more risk of malfeasance.

The veto of House Bill 3159 was seen as a victory by election integrity advocates.

Authored by State Reps. Jeff Leach (R–Plano) and John Bucy III (D–Austin), HB 3159 sought to provide “certain voters” access to an electronic absentee ballot.

However, Abbott expressed concerns about the vague language of the bill.

Abbott’s veto drew heavy criticism from supporters of the legislation—especially Bucy. “I think the governor got it wrong,” Bucy wrote on Twitter. “Not just on the interpretation of the bill but also just got it wrong on the opportunity to pass some really forward-thinking policy.”

More: https://texasscorecard.com/state/gov-abbott-vetoes-house-bill-citing-election-integrity-concerns/

Offline Kamaji

Re: Gov. Abbott Vetoes House Bill, Citing Election Integrity Concerns
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2023, 06:28:37 pm »
Good.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: Gov. Abbott Vetoes House Bill, Citing Election Integrity Concerns
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2023, 09:58:38 pm »
If the bill CAN be misinterpreted, then someone didn't do a very good job of writing it. It deserves to go down if it is ambiguous.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis