Author Topic: NASA locks 4 volunteers into 3D-printed virtual ‘Mars’ for over a year  (Read 424 times)

Online Kamaji

NASA locks 4 volunteers into 3D-printed virtual ‘Mars’ for over a year

By Richard Pollina
June 27, 2023

Four volunteers will spend the next 378 days in a simulation of Mars, facing harsh, realistic challenges in tight quarters under NASA’s watchful eye in preparation for a real-life mission to the red planet.

Research scientist Kelly Haston, structural engineer Ross Brockwell, emergency medicine physician Nathan Jones and US Navy microbiologist Anca Selariu were locked into the virtual planet at the Johnson Space Center in Houston, Texas, on Sunday as part of the first of a three-year-long simulation study by the space agency.

“The knowledge we gain here will help enable us to send humans to Mars and bring them home safely,” Grace Douglas, the mission’s principal investigator at NASA, said during a briefing.

Nasa 3D-printed the 1,700-square-foot facility, dubbed Crew Health and Performance Exploration Analog — or CHAPEA.

It will be the longest analog mission in the agency’s history.

Source:  https://nypost.com/2023/06/27/nasa-locks-4-volunteers-into-3d-printed-virtual-mars-for-over-a-year/

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
Mars looks like a shithole, why would anyone want to do there?

Offline Idiot

Mars looks like a shithole, why would anyone want to do there?
I don't get it either.  It's a wasteland with NO OXYGEN. 

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
I don't get it either.  It's a wasteland with NO OXYGEN.

Fatal attraction. Like crawling into a tiny sub to go see the Titanic.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Online mountaineer

Been there, done that.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline DB

They want to go and turn on the alien terraforming machine that will fill the atmosphere with oxygen, duh.