Author Topic: Supreme Court sends Louisiana Republicans back to the drawing board  (Read 401 times)

Offline Kamaji

Supreme Court sends Louisiana Republicans back to the drawing board

By Ryan King
June 26, 2023

The Supreme Court dealt Republicans in Louisiana a major blow Monday in a key congressional redistricting case.

The high court lifted its hold on and dismissed a challenge to a lower court order directing the Pelican State to add a majority-black district to its congressional map, increasing the likelihood Democrats pick up a House seat in the 2024 elections.

Monday’s order came two-and-a-half weeks after the court found that Alabama’s district lines, drawn following the 2020 Census, likely violated the federal Voting Rights Act.

One-third of Louisiana’s population is African-American, but only one of its six congressional districts is majority-black — the 2nd Congressional District, which has a 62% black population and is repped by Democrat Troy Carter.

Source:  https://nypost.com/2023/06/26/scotus-delivers-blow-for-gop-in-louisiana-redistricting-case/

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
Re: Supreme Court sends Louisiana Republicans back to the drawing board
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2023, 04:18:24 pm »
Is this one of those color within the lines things?
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley