Author Topic: Russian agents’ threat to family made Prigozhin call off Moscow advance  (Read 281 times)

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
The Telegraph  By Ben Riley-Smith, Political Editor ; Colin Freeman in Kramatorsk and James Kilner 6/25/2023

Details offer clue as to why Wagner Group abandoned coup attempt that revealed ‘real cracks’ in Putin’s authority

Russian intelligence services threatened to harm the families of Wagner leaders before Yevgeny Prigozhin called off his advance on Moscow, according to UK security sources.

It has also been assessed that the mercenary force had only 8,000 fighters rather than the 25,000 claimed and faced likely defeat in any attempt to take the Russian capital.

Vladimir Putin will now try to assimilate Wagner Group soldiers into the Russian military and take out its former leaders, according to insights shared with The Telegraph.

The analysis offers clues into the mystery of why Prigozhin, the Wagner Group leader, called off his mutinous march on Moscow on Saturday just hours before reaching the capital.

There remains speculation about what formal deal was struck, if any. The Kremlin said on Saturday that Prigozhin would head to Belarus in exchange for a pardon from charges of treason.

More: https://12ft.io/proxy?q=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.telegraph.co.uk%2Fworld-news%2F2023%2F06%2F25%2Fyevgeny-prigozhin-moscow-advance-putin-threat-wagner-family%2F

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
I will be very interested in reading any  updates on  this.

Truthfully,I find what is written above to be hard to believe. Prigozhin may well be many things,but a naive man driven by a child-like desire to "just get along" ain't going to be one of them.

With the exception of "Russian intelligence services threatened to harm the families of Wagner leaders", I am NOT saying I understand what is going on,though. I just instinctively "know" it's not what was reported above.

BTW,is there ANYBODY here that thinks a "career professional soldier for hire in his 60's" is so freaking naive to reality that he would start off on something like this without making sure his family was safe first? 
« Last Edit: June 26, 2023, 03:17:25 am by sneakypete »
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!